Agnostic.com

7 1

Cremation? Burial?

What funeral practice would you like practiced at your death? Americans have a fairly unique view of funeral practices. See [google.at] a PDF of "Behind the Formaldehyde Curtain" by Jessica Mitford

EllenDale 7 Dec 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I want to be minced and fed to needy cats.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

Lol

Under current laws where I live I think cremation is the smart choice. As it is now, a burial requires the casket be placed inside of a sealed concrete vault.

I'd really like to see bodies buried either wrapped in a cotton sheet or placed in a simple pine box, without embalming.

d_day Level 7 Jan 1, 2018

I can see why they force you to use a concrete vault, but how is the body supposed to decompose? Which brings up another question: how long can societies continue to bury their dead before they recycle the land, if it's even allowed.

This is a subject to which I have been giving a great deal of thought since my husband died. Check out Caitlin Doughty's fascinating book, "From Here to Eternity" and google her on the internet at The Order of the Good Death. She is a certified mortician, mordantly funny, absolutely brilliant.

Jessica Mitford is British and discusses the biggest difference between the funeral practices in the two countries. Humorous. Points well taken about the body being embalmed.

What was it that the Klingons told Picard to do with the bodies of fellow Klingons? They are just empty husks...do with them what you wish?

Burial but under a tree with no coffin
Give back to the earth
Or just go the Tibetan way and bound your body close together and let nature pick at your dead body 😉

Hey, wait a minute! I haven' t agreed to this death thing yet!

skado Level 9 Dec 31, 2017

Lol. I have dodged and weaved for 64 years, but it will find you as it will me. Continue to enjoy until then -- and after if you're so inclined.

Most likely, but not necessarily. @EllenDale

@skado if it's not necessarily, let me in on the secret

Watch some Ray Kurzweil videos. @EllenDale

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:11861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.