Agnostic.com

3 0

How do you think time works?

Movie film, raging river, figment of our imagination?

Firelands1973 5 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hendrik Lorentz and Henry Poincaré introduced the absolute time of the ether and the relative time of matter. The ether is none physical because every physical quantity need a reference to make assignment of a value possible. It was found that the ether is harboring vibrations that form a lattice like vibration pattern. The vibrations are quantizing the ether known as quantized ether or just vacuum. So far, physics is not concerned with the absolute time but with the time generated by particles which are also just vibration states. Physicists regard a particle as a purely dynamical system of perpetual motion which can be composed of waves. That's why physicists cannot tell the difference between mass and energy. The vibration periods of the matter states change their references with velocity and the values are changing relative. This is why time periods do not appear to change within a system that changes velocity. When observed from any other system the reference time periods and the observed time periods are not relative anymore which causes discrepancies in time measurements.

Guido Level 4 Jan 2, 2018

It has to be more than a figment of the imagination, since there are sound reasons to think that time flowed in the early universe, and the early stages of our planet, long before there was any creature with what might be considered an imagination. Yet it remains a thorny philosophical question. The laws of physics work equally well if you run them backwards. Most people think thermodynamics holds the key, but it's still physics: why the directionality?

I think the thermodynamic explanation is that systems run in a direction such that the overall entropy increases with time. Entropy always increases so time moves in one direction. My elementary understanding of it.

@Treasurehunter Yes, I think you're right about entropy always increasing. I'm just not sure that this completely answers the question. Is it the increasing entropy that causes time?

Well the directionality of time you seem to accept. Mechanism or causal method I have not come across.

If you accept the Big Bang theory, did time exist before the Big Bang? Observations seem to indicate that the universe is finite and with a limit that appears to be ever expanding. Does time exist outside our universe? Or is outside our universe truly nothing?

@Treasurehunter These are thorny questions! I think the universe must be finite if there was a Big Bang, becuase If it was finite immediately after the Big Bang, it must still be finite.As for the existence of time before the BB, either it did, or before the BB becomes meaningless. I know some people think that time itself originated with the BB.

I think Stephen Hawking put forward a theory that time started with the Big Bang. As there was no time before the Big Bang, there was no time for a god to create the universe.

I have heard of other theories such as multiple universes, cascading infinite series of universes, parallel and recurrent universes. Mathematical or philosophical ideas too difficult for me to understand.

@Treasurehunter Me too. Interesting to think about, though.

I find it interesting to look at time as a figment of our imagination. We look at the events in our lives coming and going, measuring every step with the click of the clock. But is it real? Can we tell in our mortal coil?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.