Agnostic.com

13 1

Anyone ever feel lonely and want to go out to meet new people but your anxiety stops you, that's what I'm dealing with lately

vincentkero 4 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only most of my life. Unless I'm running errands, I won't go out and have fun unless someone is with me.

I'm the same way, I don't like going places unless I have my brother with me or a close friend

I'm the same way. I'm really uncomfortable going anywhere or doing anything by myself, but sometimes I have to.

Without a doubt. [qz.com]

Yeah, you just described my entire life

I can relate. Before my stroke I suffered from anxiety disorder. It would get so bad that one time I was brought to tears. Since the stroke I don't suffer from it any more but because I've had all my life I still don't know how to "act" around other people, hell I can barely get a date. The only advice I can offer is do you want to spend the rest of your life alone?

I get it sometimes, but I still manage to go somewhere, its just sometimes I zone out. Maybe its just getting lost in thought or feeling like you're alone even in a room full of people. I do hate THAT feeling.

I don't get lonely cause I like being alone. But I do have my daughter when she is not in school or with her dad but then I enjoy alone time but miss her profusely. I get anxiety when I have to go out and do the social thing for my daughter or the family or other commitments. Then after I need decompression time.

DeiP Level 5 Oct 10, 2017

Dude, Anxiety is a serious thing. I think you have to meet an expert. I guess.

James Level 4 Oct 10, 2017

Truly facing your fear and just going out is the only way. You don't need to talk to start. Just go do something you enjoy that takes you out of youy safety bubble where other people are.

SamL Level 7 Oct 10, 2017

I'm there with you on that. I know after things went down with my ex, I've always been in that closed off space in which i don't want to date anymore, don't want to try to do have a relationship. I know in the back of my mind I would like to do that but at the same time in my life I haven't been good in the dating scene and had very few gfs in my time. I know in the end that you just have to try and go out to enjoy yourself, not in the main goal of meeting new people, but as something that just might happen.

Yep, I even had a little bout of agoraphobia a few years back. I don't have girlfriends or anything. I'm married, so I still have my husband to hang out with, so that helps. But we're a case of "opposites attracting", so we don't enjoy a lot of the same stuff. I want to go and do stuff I find fun, and meet new people I might become friends with, but do it alone? Without a safety net or a friend to buffer? No way.

My best successes in going to new places with anxiety is taking a kid along - mine or someone else's, if there is one available in the family or whatever. That way I'm kind of showing them the new thing, and the dynamic changes in my head. Still not a good way to meet new friends, but a good way to get out of the house, and I feel like that's a step in the right direction.

I've never had an issue with that but I guess it's because I've never given a crap if people don't like me. I am who I am and fckem if they don't like it.

Anxiety is a pain, i know what you mean.

Tejas Level 8 Oct 10, 2017

You're not alone in this bro.
It is tough. Start with a hobby, an outdoor... hobby. See if there are others.

Great support and suggestion 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1202
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.