Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK How the Cyrenaics Invented Hedonism

In celebration of an important but often neglected school of philosophy.

Hiram 4 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think of the Cyrenaic ethic as being short-range, egoistic hedonism, which is to say that it is one’s duty to fill each passing moment with as much pleasure/happiness as possible. “If it feels good, do it!” Then Epicureanism is long-range, egoistic hedonism, where the ideal is to fill one’s lifetime with as much pleasure/happiness as possible; this introduces the duty of delayed gratification when that would lead to a greater happiness overall. Now I think one popular version of Christianity is NOTHING BUT long-, long-range egoistic hedonism from a supernatural metaphysics. That is, it is the belief that the greatest happiness in the long, long run comes by “carrying the cross” in this short life on earth in order to enjoy perfect bliss in an eternal afterlife.

what Christians are peddling should not be dignified with the label "hedonism" 🙂 it's the exact opposite of hedonism (asceticism, or the pursuit of misery instead of happiness)

@Hiram Yep. That's the "carrying the cross" part.

It seems to me that the natural and default state of a consciously aware entity is supreme joy. If you are looking for pleasure as a way to fill a lack, then that pleasure will be short lived.

Is joy not pleasant? Are there not mental pleasures? It seems like your conception of pleasure is limited

[theautarkist.wordpress.com]

@Hiram I get you point. Yes, joy is also pleasurable. It’s a lasting and serene pleasure. I think that if you try to find pleasure though, you’ll soon wear out that pleasure. I see pleasure as just a bodily emotion, not worth being ones goal in life.

@WilliamFleming that’s your misunderstanding of the hedonists and it’s based mainly in arguments posited by the enemies of pleasure. You are referring to what positive psychology calls the hedonic threadmil, and in the writings of the hedonists there are frequent references to understanding the limits of our desires and pleasures. Principal Doctrine 15 says:

Natural wealth is both limited and easy to acquire, but the riches incited by groundless opinion have no end.

[monadnock.net]

The third and fourth of the four cures of the Epicureans also deal with the limits of desire and pleasure and how easy desires are to satisfy.

@Hiram ok, I admit to not being well-versed about the philosophy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:120683
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.