Agnostic.com

4 0

When asking a thoughful question shouldn't you answer it up front?

I think if you ask a question that requires a thoughtful answer, then you have an obligation to provide your thoughts on the subject. Seems only fair. Anyone have feeling about this issue?

I'm reposting this from a comment.

arca2027 6 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe sometimes they don't have an answer, and they are looking for the answer in the respondents replies.

Do you mean that if one posts a question here on Agnostic.com which requires a thoughtful answer that, as the original poster, one should also provide their own thoughtful input?

If that is what you mean, yes, I agree with you. Well, let me clarify. Not that they should. More like that I wish they would. At the very least it gets the conversation going.

yes that's what I mean. I often see thought provoking questions, but nothing from the questioner.

I think if you want an honest and open answer, and fresh thoughts, it might sometimes be best not to lead the discussion into just an argument about why you may or may not be correct, but wait a bit before weighing in to see if you learn something before sharing your conclusion. If you have a question, it usually means you don't yet know the answer. Just my thoughts on it.

Then again, sometimes it's best to put your thoughts right out there - just depends on the question I guess.

Agreed. If you lead with your own ideas, then it could influence how others answer. Reminds me of a Kurt Vonnegut quote that goes something like this, “Friends agree in order to express friendship; enemies disagree in order to express enmity.”

Yes, probably, but sometimes what one person thinks is a thoughtful question another doesn't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121118
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.