Agnostic.com

3 1

Civil discourse out the window

What are some of your most common ways to create an environment for civil discussion? What do you do when it starts to get uncivil (such as straw manning, name calling) ?

G0dlessHeathen 4 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Straw manning?

My meaning behind this was: Within a debate the opposite party attempts to deplatform you by misrepresenting your arguement. This creates a 'straw man' they are arguing against as opposed to your actually point.

We start with the premise everyone has the right to make their point and while a person is speaking he is not to be interrupted. Second we state that if an argument starts the discussion is over.Third we elect a monitor to rule . This works very well and after the first meeting is terminated because of an argument it never happens again.

I think it important to keep a level head and speak your own truth while allowing someone to speak theirs. There are many times when I get really annoyed by complete egomanical idiots who make absolute bullshit arguments and who refuse to see from other perspectives, but in those cases, I have to know when to say when. With those people it’s not about logic or seeing from the other’s point of view, it’s about feeling like they’ve won at all costs.

hugh Level 5 July 2, 2018

There seems to be this thing with people where they feel this need to have "discourse" with people that obviously hate them, like they are all going to break thru, have some hot dogs, and Maximum Friendship is achieved.

Im all for other points of view, and listening, but there are always limits. you have to consider the speaker, and where the head hits the pillow at the end of the day. I think about the video I just saw, of the man with swastika flags up in his basement, and a bunch of white kids saluting it, but then he has an Indian ex and half Indian kids, and is like "Children are Children". Im not the fuckhead whisperer. Its not my job to talk this fucking asshole that is getting press coverage back into being a person, and to throw all that nazi trash into a firepit, and tell his loser friends to fuck off. He needs to do these things on his own. Before its too late.

@rafferty I believe you bring a lot of clarity in this message. We often try to change someone's mind or even go so far as to "save them" from their self destructed path. At the end of the day they are not the ones making the change it's all for naught.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121140
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.