Agnostic.com

15 0

Who makes a better single parent?

In the event of having to raise a child or children, do children benefit more being raised by a single father or mother?

• 3 votes
  • 8 votes
SamL 7 Oct 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

loaded question, vague, children are healthier with mothers but much better educated and less impoverished with fathers.

I'd say it depends on various factors, e.g., financial security, willingness of parent to actually be a parent, etc.

The parent who puts the child's best interests ahead of everything else. The parent who walks the talk when they say they love their child. The parent who will sacrifice for their child. The parent who is respectful of their child and does not beat, belittle, berate, molest or compromise their child. The parent who teaches critical thinking and not suspension of disbelief. The parent who does not teach religious dogma but instead personally walks the talk of loving all people and demonstrates that to their child and invites their child to join in those endeavors that support all of humanity.

Amen.

I wonder how the boys will grow up with their mom and how the girls will grow up with their dad? I believe that gender has a lot to do with this issue.

How about the lesbies and the gays growing up with their "normal" single parents, be they adopted and adoptive?

And how about the same-sex couples? These people may as well be considered single parents.

In my experience here in the Philippines, my same-sex couple friends are all happy with their lives and together with their adopted and natural kids are growing up well and good all at the same time, living and learning together a lot better than most normal families in and out of my circles of friends.

Yours is by far the best answer I've read. My mother raised my two sisters and I. She did an awesome job by most standards even dealing with her own personal issues. The reason for this post is that over the years I have seen issues I don't think are addressed. All children need to be nurtured. Men can do this but women are better. Also, women will often reach out to girls being raised by single fathers and make sure the girls learn all the girl stuff and how to cope with it. Boys being raised by single mothers don't fare as well as most men don't care, don't want to get involved or the mother doesn't appreciate the male model the man represents. So typically boys don't get the male role model to help shape them. I feel I am still at a loss to this day. Some time ago one of my sisters' friends declared she was going to have a baby and raise it by herself because she wanted motherhood but not the challenge of trying to maintain a relationship with a man. I blurted out that I think it would be unfair to raise a boy without a clear father figure. She disagreed. Who else grew up under similar circumstances that cares enough to share?

@markhas It would be more helpful if you could be more specific.

Neither. Because they can both be great single parents. All depends upon the individual!

Yes

I can't adequately answer the question because I know nothing about the character of either of these two hypothetical people.

Pardon, sir, could you tell us please why you labeled single parents as hypothetical people?

I didn't say that all single parents are hypothetical people. I was referring specifically to the single mother and single father used in this hypothetical situation. Since I only know their genders and know nothing about their respective characters, I can't accurately say who would be the better parent.

In general though, it's more important that the single parent be a nurturing individual; sex doesn't have any part in it.

Yes, the single parent must really be a nurturing individual otherwise those poor kids will go haywire

I became a single mom. No bias in how I voted, none at al.

so, I guess you voted for yourself? we're live in a democracy!

The important thing isn't the gender of the primary parent, but rather that the parent provides the child with a positive role model of both genders. My son's dad didn't visit him, but I had three amazing brothers who filled that role.

I assume your three amazing brothers are younger than you and your husband

Two were older, one was younger, and there was no "husband". I'm not sure why that matters. A grandfather can fill in in the absence of a father, too.

A good parent is a good parent, I don't see that gender has any influence on this. 🙂

Then why does the law more frequently side with the mother?

I didn't say I agree with the law. I don't agree with the majority of the laws! I agree with Sassy, because of outdated and archaic ideas that this country continues to follow rather than adjust the thinking to reflect the changing times and the individual circumstances. In reality, I think a good and loving parent is just that. Gender and gender identity has no bearing on that. I do believe that due to the natural difference in males and females there are often differences in the way the children are raised, but that is different - not one better than the other. 🙂

You're a good mom in a good family. I'm sure your daughter really feel and appreciate that she is loved.

btw, I've seen some of your macro pics and they;re simply amazing. (Sigh) how I wish I had a camera like that 50 years ago

Thank you, Sonny. I appreciate that so much! 🙂

I have seen good and bad in both genders. There are generally more single mothers than single fathers; father generally are the ones that exit the home and the full time parenting roll, which is why I choose single mothers.

Markhas do you really need to resort to name calling? What I am doing is the presentation of facts, the roll of caregiver generally does fall to the mother when couples split stats support this.

I think it just depends on the individual but it's women who usually take that burden.

I assume most look at this poll and want to say that it's flawed, because it SHOULD depend on who is better suited. But, I speak from personal experience that courts in the US will always side with the mother. It's sad really, and no one ever speaks about the reality that some men commit suicide because of it. I almost did myself.

I'm very glad you're still with us!!!!!! And, I bet your children are, too. 🙂 <3

You have provided food for thought for a more focused poll. Thank you very much. I'm more interested in what the child thinks regardless of what the law says or the parent demands.

Aw! go easy man. Don't let your ego and your emotions get the better of you.

I would say it depends, but I guess if I'm forced to answer one or the other it's more common for a single mother.

I agree with it depends. The law however gives you two choices.

Gender has nothing to do with who is a better parent.

You said what I was thinking but you said it better.

I believe that gender, somehow, has something to do with good parenting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1234
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.