Agnostic.com

2 0

do you accept the scientist finding , when it comes to climate change?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that when thousands of scientists reach a concensus that the climate change that is quite measurably happening is the result of human activity, it is akin to puting one's head in the sand to choose to believe otherwise for monetary gain or idealogical imperative.

I've studied enough physics, chemistry, calculus, chaos theory, and geoscience to read and understand scientific papers. If their research was well designed and their analysis seems sound, I see no reason not to accept their findings. No good scientist will claim to have all the answers, and as new data become available through funding, technology, or new, testable theories, the models for how climate works and how we impact global climate patterns will become clearer, but that will probably always be true. In the meantime good science using what we know now and the data currently available still paint a useful picture, even if not all the details have been filled in yet.

I do look for more than just correlation before accepting any scientific results, too. If scientists could not offer at least a plausible, testable theory for how humans effect climate, I would wait to accept or ignore their findings till such mechanisms were suggested (or I'd work on the problem myself and figure out what those mechanisms would be). I have done the calculations in 2nd-yr college chemistry classes and a senior-level atmospheric physics class that show the mechanisms for how greenhouse gasses work, how the heat balance of Earth works, and how these things lead to changes in climate patterns. It makes sense, and if I ever have cause to doubt, I can find my old textbooks, go through those chapters again, and look for any unfounded assumptions that would justify doubting those mechanisms.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1246
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.