Agnostic.com

1 0

With the story coming out about the Branch Davidians (ABC, Jan. 4 9 p.m. eastern) I'm curious but also pretty sure that religious people watching it will not see themselves in it. The reactions will be "those poor people," "those idiots," etc. Because they will see it as a "cult" or extreme they will not see that all of it was done in god's name and is no different than their belief. Even the followers talk about "when someone with power tells you to do something..." They let this guy steal their wives and daughters because he was a messenger from god. If god says it's ok it must be. Although kids grow believing what their parents tell them and have no reason to question it or when their pastors or priests tell them it's ok because they are in a position of "power," one would hope when they are able to think for themselves that reason and rationality would take over. We know that it doesn't because, as I've learned, it's all about emotion and a sense of belonging. But it is still a quandary for me. Is it idiocy? Gullibility? Naivete?

As a prosecutor for 20 years I was unable to make a dent in domestic violence. Something you'd think would be innate, people being anti-pain, whether it be physical or emotional. But the victims always rationalized it away. I don't have any kids and I know they don't come with directions but if we taught them to take responsibility for their own actions, that their lives were based on their actions, to believe in themselves and that domestic violence of any kind is wrong maybe we could end the madness. Thanks for letting me vent.

lerlo 8 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can empathize with your frustration. My observation is that almost anyone at one point or another in our lives is vulnerable to falling for cult-like organizations. It is as you pointed out, a need to belong to something greater than themselves.

I believe as a country, we are experiencing a new wave of conservatism based precisely on a cultish mentality of Trump.

Sad but true for at least half the country

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12504
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.