Agnostic.com

8 1

Do you think when you get older it is right to treat people like trash?

yaya87 5 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think there is an age justification for it. But I do think there is some merit to treating some people negatively. At least I can imagine a decent argument being made I can't think of it now except that when other people do it I learn alot about them.

You get what you earn from me, and the older I get the less "slack" i give. Does that answer your question? But You have to give me disrespect first!

coming to terms with that now with some people. I do not like to take anyone's abuse anymore.

It's very rarely ok to treat people like trash, although "treating people like trash" is an emotive and ambiguous phrase.

I was intentionally mean to a woman who wanted to pray for me and wouldn't back off yesterday. Subjectively she may have thought I treated her like trash.

I used to work with violent children with cognitive disabilities. At one point, I made a blind kid pick up broken glass.
I definitely treated many people with disabilities "like trash", but several of those people would have been kicked out on the street or sent to prison without significant changes in their behavior.

I hope I've gained some discernment and have a better idea when it's necessary to be mean, I'm definitely more patient in most instances and significantly less patient at other times.

I am 79 and it still remains wrong to do so.

@Hebert54 true

The older I get the more childish people appear, but that makes sense.. The ‘older people’ I pal around with cherish youth, we have that in common.

My job gets me around, and what’s vivid is how, in a congested city, everyone’s treated like ‘trash.’ Back to the rurals.. and they’re waving from their cars… Perspective, location, situations, base behaviors.

I can understand reaching a breaking point, where you’d retreat from hostilities, maybe even become like those around you, I’m not there ..yet ~

Varn Level 8 July 8, 2018

I don’t quite understand the question. Do older people treat others like trash? Do you mean you believe older people are treating young people badly? Obviously if older people are treating others badly it would be wrong. But I don't think this concept is actually true and without evidence is is an assumption only. Everyone regardless of age should treat others with respect, unquestionably.

I asked this because some people think that when you get older it is okay to treat anyone with no respect.

No, is not right...but most older people think they deserve respect but to give respect is not important.

See, if 1) I want to let an older person to go ahead of me at the checkout line...or 2) if he/she asks me to go in front of me...is my choice to let that person go. Now, if he/she demands I let him/her go first you better believe I will ignore that person royally.

Respect doesn't come with age...respect is earned.

Depends. Are they trash?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:125231
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.