Agnostic.com

4 4

Conservatives (and particularly religious conservatives) appear to have a world view that interpret all outcomes in terms of a personification of driving forces. Rather than evaluating current events based on evidence or using some objective criteria, they interpret everything in personal terms. For instance, when the mayor of San Juan, PR rejected the Whitehouse claim that Hurricane Maria is a good news story, Trump responded, claiming she has "been told by the Dems that you must be nasty to Trump." Similarly, many evangelicals interpret all human activity as being driven either by God or by Satan. In this manner, supporters of Roy Moore outright reject anything the Washington Post reports, no matter how solid the story or how extensively the story was researched. I assume Moore's supporters believe the Washington Post is driven by the Dems, who in turn are driven by Satan.

astrochuck 6 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’ve worked for an attorney who was ultra conservative, and would give daily devotions to the entire 30+ staff office. On numerous occasions he stated that the earth quake in Haiti happened because the Haitian people collectively sold their souls to the devil in order to win their independence from the Europeans, and that the quake was payback. I later found out that Pat Robertson the televangelist held the same views and that in fact my boss was an alumni of Roberson’s university and must of crossed paths.

In other words, ‘religious conservatives’ take any disaster as an opportunity to blame their opponents? The infrequent times I’ve happened upon ‘Rush’ on the radio -- that’s all I hear. Apparently, they view their ‘conservative audience’ as too ignorant and poorly educated to deduce reality, so they feed them lies, call it truth - and it’s gobbled up!

Whereas, thinking individuals want factual information in order to better understand the situation then form their own opinions. Too sophisticated to settle for unsubstantiated blame, they’re open to further investigation and interpretation.

Sounds like the difference between Religionists & Agnostics/ Atheists, to me ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

@astrochuck I think Rush is a manipulative huckster whose exploiting an ignorant national niche. He may want to believe what he’s ranting/ preaching, but deep down, knows better.. I wonder, if I found his program now, would he still be blaming Obama and/or Hillary for trump’s mental illness..?

Every time I hear Pubs deny solid evidence while at the same time believing something the orange one says the first thing that pops to mind is that most of them have never been taught how to think. They do believe in the magical realm and an invisible friend. Statistically, Republicans and religion do go together.

gearl Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

My dad was a Christian all his life, but he wasn't like the Roy Moore supporters. He was a kind man. He's been gone for 19 years. He'd be appalled at what the Christian Right has become.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12566
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.