Agnostic.com

2 0

Has anyone ever done street epistemology (SE)? If so, what were your experiences like?

Here's a link to explain SE:
[streetepistemology.com]

KLMFTFW 5 Oct 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you all for your responses. I have not done it. I am very intrigued by it and partly due to my other recent post as to whether you are an atheist or an anti-theist. I am a mix of both. I am 100% atheist BUT I also believe that atheism is harmful to individuals and to societies. That said, living in America and supporting our Constitution, I believe that I cannot try to force my views on anyone else. I have never liked it when Christians have tried to do that to me and I do not support missionary work at all.

SO, street epistemology appeals to me because it is a non-confrontational way to at least get people to think about their beliefs. Many people hold their religious beliefs very dear and view anyone who threatens that status quo as a threat and they will immediately go into defense mode. I would prefer to debate ideas without confronting or attacking someone or their ideas. Trying to force my ideas on anyone will only cause them to get defensive and to attack back or walk away. Not what I want and counter productive to an exchange of ideas.

I like the idea of asking questions to get them to think about how they came to believe the way they do and what it might take to begin to believe differently. I wouldn't expect an epiphany right there on the spot. No one (or VERY few people) suddenly abandons their faith without some very serious contemplation. But, if I could get them to think about their choices, then that's a very good start.

Anthony Magnabosco has been doing it for quite a while and posts Youtube videos (with permission) of his interviews. He typically does his interview on college campuses. My experience is that young college students may be more accepting of new ideas and fresh perspectives than someone who has been living the Christian doctrine and dogma for decades. In one of Anthony's videos, he shows a full video of an interview and then shows a second video where he breaks down the interview step by step and explains why he said what he did and why. In the end, he pushed just a bit too hard too fast and the man walked away saying he would never stop believing. Anthony's approach is absolutely non-confrontational and the second video is a kind of how to lesson.

Anthony has a Facebook page called "Street Epistemology" which is a private group and if I remember, there are a few questions the admins ask before they will admit you but I didn't have any problems getting in as I know several of the members already in the group as part of our local group of which I am a board member. Anthony had a "Fund Me" drive recently which I helped fund so that he could provide training classes in the USA and several other European countries.

If you decided to check out the Facebook page and have any problems, let me know and I will see what I can do. Though I don't know Anthony personally, I do know several other members and they may know some of the admins.

I'm forced to say no because it wasn't on the street, but when debating or discussing religion with a theist, I practice the philosophy of street epistemology because it's far more useful. It is less threatening, and it allows for the person to acknowledge things he/she otherwise wouldn't.

Paul, I agree it is non-confrontational and to me that means there is more likely to be a positive outcome though as I mentioned above, not in real time during the interview. If I can get people to think about their choices then that is the best I can hope for as a first step in creating awareness.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.