Agnostic.com

8 3

Unintended condescension: what's your best example?

Hominid 7 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I'll pray for you"
The speaker thinks they are somehow helping. But what they are projecting is their unconscious belief that you are totally wrong and they are completely right so they are going to ask their God to "make" you think like them.
Sometimes if something bad is happening in your life it is a good persons intent to try to help.

Here's another one: "You lost your faith because you married an unbeliever". Geeze, could you be saying I'm that weak minded that my belief system is influenced by who I live with? Those that thought this were not aware of the timeline of my deconversion anyway. I wrote them off as friends, as the condescension was quite intentional.

After people started finding out about my agnosticism, a friend who had lost two babies reached out to me. I know he was trying to be caring, but his response was basically "I've been through a lot worse than you and I was still able to keep my faith, why can't you? I bet if you take the time to talk with me I can re-convert you."

@VictoriaNotes My wife's family has come up with all sorts of explanations for my deconversion. Her cousin (who is a preacher) is convinced that I'm addicted to something and that if I pushed God away in order to not feel guilty about my addiction, and that if I can just break my addiction then I will obviously come back to God. Her brother tried to convince her that I must be having an affair and left religion in order to justify it. But her mom's explanation is the best: I purchased a Vitamin store last year, and her mom thinks I'm taking so many new supplements that it messed up my brain 🙂 But yeah, not one person is willing to accept the idea that my beliefs changed for rational/logical reasons.

I was told essentially the same thing by a "friend"; that I lost my faith because I was angry at god for life's circumstances. It's the only way they can understand your deconversion. It's that, or admitting you're right!

@VictoriaNotes: Thanks for sharing that link; my ex was hyper-religious, AND obsessive/compulsive... even to her own admission. Throw in some bipolar, and the formula is complete according to the article. Her manic phases are what drove us apart.

My unintended condescension ? or someone's towards me ?

Towards you. Or maybe yours, if we get to condescend on you.

😉

I still hang out with a Former Professional Ballroom Dancer and well known teacher in the DC Baltimore area. We had been an item of some kind for almost this whole Century. Everyone I Met ask me the same question... Am I a "dancer" too? The disappointment in their faces when I project myself as an "average joe" that simply is in a position to not having to pay for my lessons. I am the "Original Dancing With The Stars". But she reminds me how Good it feels to be a "Gentleman to a Lady". Condescension is accepted as part of the Dealio. And she makes me look Great Dancing so.... Bring it on.

I am of the opinion that most people who do this do it by intension, most people are aware of it and do it to make themselves feel superior to you. I guess I am a bit more judgemental of this kind of a thing or more aware of the feelings of others.

Mine is: Well, when you need God, he'll be waiting. (Such a comfort)

I'll go first: after I bought a great house in a semi-rural setting with lotsa land, great neighbours etc... my brother says "Well, this is a cute little house you have." Emphasis on cute.

It ain't his house! Keeping up with the Jones? I stay away from the jones!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12648
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.