Agnostic.com

4 1

Is Gender a thing? If so, what is it made up of?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is one of those questions to which I always have to answer "I just don't know". For a long time, I believed gender was completely artificial; however, I've met many people who felt for many years so certain that they were assigned the wrong gender that I've had to wonder if it is in fact "a thing" after all. Just to confuse things, what's true for one person may not be true for another - while one person might be male, female or even both, another might not have a gender at all.

In other words: I have absolutely no idea. 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Jan 4, 2018

In both ancient India, and the indigenous people of this continent realized that both gender and "sexual orientation" are on a spectrum, and they just accepted this in their societies. A person could be at one end or the other of that spectrum, or somewhere in between. People were allowed to be whomever they identified without prejudice or discrimination. Then in both cases, England came along and ruined everything. I imagine their self-righteous Christianity didn't help.

Yes gender is a thing. Just because a man can make himself look like a woman doesn’t make him a woman because he won’t be able to carry a child for nine months in a womb like a woman. The same goes for a woman who makes herself look like a man but she will not produce sperm to impregnate a real woman. If some people are so fixated on changing their gender then they should study frogs that are capable of actually changing their gender and make a drug or something that gives the same results as when these frogs change their gender.

An infertile woman can't carry a child in her womb for nine months. Is she a woman? (I'd like to see such a drug developed, incidentally, especially as it might make the process of changing gender much easier for those who need to do so.)

That’s true but an infertile woman was created to carry a child and the part are there. Who knows maybe some day infertility won’t be a thing is someone finds an answer for it. That would be great because wanting to have a child but being unable to do so has to be devistating.@Jnei

What about people with Mayer Rokitansky Küster Hauser Syndrome, who are born without a womb (and/or ovaries, a cervix and a vagina)?

Then it comes down to if their XX or XY.@Jnei

@GrantJohnson Even though gender has meant the same thing as one's sex, it has been reclaimed to refer to a different idea; one disassociated with one's genitalia.
i.e. Someone might wear the clothing typically designated for the opposite sex, but still identify with their birth sex, while another person might do this same thing and identify for the opposite sex.

Gender-The state of being Male of Female. If someone were to state that they were any kind of animal society would label them as mentally ill. The same goes for any thoughts or beliefs that are not proven with facts. How we feel about ourselves is nothing more than an opinion without any facts to back our feelings making any arguments on this issue pointless. If someone wants to identify with a sex that they were not born with who should care because it’s no different than faiths or beliefs. These individuals should tell others that they are transgender if they want to be in a relationship with someone to eliminate whatever negative emotions that individual has or will have when they find out.@MuzikDan

I think it is a thing although I do get confused by it a lot. It is based on sex but as there are only two of those it isn't really. The best I can describe it is that it is based on predetermined make up of the mind since it does not seem to change from the point of first self expressed sexuality of the child, seems that we are not born blanks when it comes to sexuality. I know that for as long as I can remember I thought of myself as male and interested in the opposite sex even when I didn't know why, I suspect that this is no different for any human being regardless of which sex they identify as or which sex or sexes they are interested in.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12654
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.