Agnostic.com

45 4

Are you the only atheist/agnostic in your household?

And are you constantly pressured by family members for it?

Rideauxb 7 Oct 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, my step-brother is atheist as well.

Yes, (only agnostic) because I live alone 🙂

No, my brother is atheist too and my family doesn't care what I believe.

No, my daughter is an atheist. Most family members reject us. Her grand-parents on her father's side phone, write and sometimes visit. We have not told them we're atheists. They're staunch Lutherans and don't believe in divorce so still call me Mrs. - drives me nuts.

I am atheist and i live alone...lol...so yes I am. But my two grown sons are atheist too.

Luckily I am not. My mom's an agnostic and it seems like my dad (who was raised heavily Lutheran) is an atheist but he doesn't particularly like discussing those kinds of things. My younger brother believes in God and wears a cross around his neck, but I don't think he knows exactly what that actually symbolizes.

I think I am. My father and sister are avid church goers. Dad is into some other ministries including doing some stuff at a prison for prisoners. Mom is "spiritual" in some way. She believes the "universe" has some kind of power. So I think she uses the word "god," but not in the same way as my dad. As far as aunts and uncles, cousins, etc., I don't know.

No, my dogs and cats are too. My wife is a hardcore Christian, but we legally separated after seven good years followed by seven more bad years. The more religious she got, the worse things got. It's not all her fault I'm guilty of losing interest and not wanting to be around her as she fell deeper into her faith.

Yes, the only one...

I am. Seems like I'm the only one in my state actually.

Unfortunately.

It’s just me and my 2 boys and yes we all are atheists. I didn’t raise them in the church and now that they are older they find religion somewhat ridiculous.

I'm the only one that I know of, in my entire extended family. I live in the bible belt, deep south of the US. So we are pretty rare around here. I think I may have a cousin who is possibly an atheist, or possibly agnostic, but I don't talk to him much, we aren't close, and he lives in the NW coastal area, and it's never come up in conversation when we do talk.

I feel for you, I don't think I could live in the bible belt!

I'm the only open one, I Know that my dad and grandfather don't believe but they keep it to themselves. My mom and grandmother are huge into religion.

I grew up in an evangelical home, 3 brothers (now have wives and kids) and Mom and Dad. All of them still believe passionately.

Jerry Level 2 Oct 11, 2017

It’s just my dog and I. My dog is Mormon... so.... yeah.

Yes but I've only told my sister...and she had a very negative reaction about it. My mothers will be the same once I finally say it but I haven't yet. She suspects it though...almost my whole family is either Catholic or Christian so it's not something I can really just freely discuss (I wish I could, but I'd rather not deal with the questioning).

Yes. I'm open about it and my family is all resigned to the fact. I tend to know Christianity best out of all of us and it's resulted in my mother and sister really deciding that the Bible is nonsense and pretty much creating their own idea of a god who is far more accepting and loving, but also not really all-powerful, either. My father just tries to tune me out when I get on the topic of weird crap in the Bible. XD

Atheist household of four. We're the black sheep of the larger family.

Me and my 9 year old are both Atheist. My extended family are all Christian and they love Jesus...lol

In a bible belt state, North Carolina. I am the only one in my family, like immediate and extended family that doesn't believe in God. It definitely causes issues with the mother who raised me and my cousin too. My mother and I get into it at least every 3 months about religion. If I ever have a family of my own, my children will not be raised religious. But will be accepted if they decide later in life to follow some imaginary sky daddy.

nope both of us are atheist to the core

i'm assuming that since my dogs don't attend services, they're not religious. though i'm not sure if they believe in god or not, dog for sure, god? idk. my guinea pigs are pretty secretive. so, i can't answer yes for sure.

Yes in my household, just me and my dog. My sisters are the only family members who know. They are religious but don't pressure me about it. I wouldn't tell any other family members. It would spread like wildfire. Interventions, crying and praying for my soul... I'll pass lol.

about half of us are atheist, the rest range from doubting Thomas' to "you going to hell, Jerry".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1270
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.