Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK The Most Intolerant Wins: The Dictatorship of the Small Minority

Taleb covers a lot of ground with the idea of the widespread social effects of people who will not change on an issue in this excerpt from a chapter in his book "Skin in the Game".

For me this was simultaneously an enlightening, even invigorating, but also terrifying read.

What are your thoughts?

Rhetoric 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Right wingers moaning about maligned groups who demand to be treated equally and with respect. That's what this whining article is.

This type of article is so tiresome. Typical right wing trash.

Did you read the article? I'm curious because I didn't find that to be in any of his points.

As far as I can tell, he is pointing out that people (extreme conservatives, extreme liberals, extreme religious, and more) who won't budge on an issue that is largely of little cost to others in society tend to get their way in such a manner that most of the rest of the society has to go along with it. (Incidentally, I don't like the way he uses the word "intolerant" too broadly for this phenomenon, as it leads to a title which sounds like it could be about what you have suggested it to be.)

I must agree. There doesn't seem to be any evidence based remarks here. Certainly some facts sprinkled with a fair amount of conjecture in an attempt to support an argument with a preferred outcome. I got about one third of the way through realising it was basically a list of grievances and headed to the conclusion to see what was actually being suggested. Unfortunately, there isn't one so I am no wiser as to the author's justification of his position.

Good article.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.