Agnostic.com

6 3

LINK CVS Is Being Sued for Selling Bullshit Homeopathic Products

Whether it's in a pew, or on Aisle 5, one cannot abdicate the responsibility to be on guard for bullshit. And homeopathy is some thin bullshit.

NerdyOkieDude 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do not agree on the policing of what a business sells........just DON'T buy the stuff!

@NerdyOkieDude and a business would stock those because of their high profit margins? It IS self-policing.....

@NerdyOkieDude it's gonna hurt when you fall off that high horse!

I don't understand why there is so much anger when the subject of homeopathy is brought up. It is an individuals right to choose it if they feel it works. No-one is saying everyone should use it. How does that hurt anyone else?

@NerdyOkieDude Good grief.

Selling homeopathy in pharmacies is like selling exorcism in pharmacies. Sell it in church or at a carnival, just nowhere near institutions of science and reason.

Homeopathy is garbage and needs to go. The most famous of the homeopathic potions is "boirn" or "Oscillococcinum". They proudly list the active ingredient in Latin to make it sound official, "Anas Barbariae Hepatis et Cordis Extractum" which is the latin for "extract of Muscovy duck liver and heart". They also claim it's got a strength of 200CK HPUS which is stronger than 100CK HPUS. So the actual strength is 1/10^400(1 divided by a 1 followed by 400 zeroes) grams which is stronger than 1/10^200 grams. Somehow having less of the active ingredient is stronger. It is also less than the mass of a proton of the active ingredient. To that, they add 0.85g of sucrose and 0.15g of lactose and you get a capsule that is 100% sugar. Go look it up and homeopathic sources will proudly agree with the facts I have provided.

Selling this should be criminal.

To be clear, I do not have an issue with herbal, holistic or natural medicines and therapies. I don't know what arnica would be used for, but perhaps it does have uses. Homeopathy, however, says you need to start with arnica, then dilute until you effectively have no arnica and somehow there are benefits. That is the particular nuance of my comment. I am neither advocating or arguing with arnica or other herbal therapies.

Why do people buy that stuff?

I don’t know. Is there any of it truly works. I haven’t enjoyed any success with it.

Even though I do sometimes use homeopathic products, I use them fully aware that they may or may not work. I actually agree with this lawsuit. Homeopathic products need to be clearly marked and in a separate area alltogether. I do not believe that they should be outlawed; just better labeled and let the person choose whether or not to try them.

@Morganfreeman I don't see it as such. It seems to me that some humans (not all), by their nature, are stupid. By allowing homeopathic preparations to be alongside pharmaceutical drugs are giving said humans the impression that they are endorsed by the medical community which they are not.

I research most of the medication (naturopathic and pharmaceutical), however a lot of people don't. They expect any medication bought from a pharmacy to not only be endorsed by the medical community, but also do some good. They don't understand the difference, and get confused when it doesn't work thinking that nothing will work. By having homeopathic/naturopathic medication in a different area will help lower that confusion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.