Agnostic.com

5 2

Future of the Two Party System in America?

I feel the two party system is dividing America to the breaking point. Party loyalty can remain strong, even when people seem unhappy with their candidate. Do you think America will ever move past two party domination?

Tecolote 7 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

America began without parties. Whigs were behind John Adams and populists rose up with Jefferson. ...Lincoln took a 5 year old 4th party to the White House decimating his own previous Whig Party. Greens could do the same to corrupt Democrats. Libertarians can't reform corrupt Rethuglicans like slavery CANNOT BE REFORMED. ...the problem in elections remains bribery and greed ruling incumbents could be OUT VOTED by ratifying AMENDMENT ONE in 27 more states needed to restore local democracy in Congress 50 thousand persons per Congressional District making door to door phone to phone grass roots campaigns competitive with million dollar advertising for 435 incumbents

I really hope we move past the two party system. The political spectrum is much much much too complex to be represented by two groups. Besides I find that both the right and the left are out of their minds these days (mostly the right but the left has some problems too). Both sides are so polarized that it's unhelpful to the wellbeing of this country.

Yea 2 party system is also a indirect kind of dictatorship.

Hussy Level 4 Jan 5, 2018

As long as our elections are decided by first-past-the-post wins all, rather than proportional representation (like Israel) or national runoffs (like France), we will have only two major parties. It isn't even just about money; voters themselves will, by and large, not risk embracing a splinter group from their own general side (even if they agree more with the breakaway faction than the establishment nominee) for fear of handing victory to the side they find even less palatable. Ross Perot was the only candidate in recent memory to shake up that paradigm, as A) he was a billionaire who could self-finance, and B) in '92, he pulled votes evenly from both Bill Clinton and George H. W. Bush.

I do not believe that our system lends itself to multi party election. Our emphasis is on the individual, rather than the group, unfortunately. I believe that the British system works better by providing more flexibility.

So does the French system.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12875
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.