Agnostic.com

8 2

Are there many Taoists here? Le Guin readers? Christian "borrowings"

A fave book and a poem by Chuang Tzu, "The lathe of heaven"... The conceit/tool of the lathe... as the only implement that can make a copy of itself, and the trappist monks conversion of the word "chi'en", in ancient Chinese meaning "nature" to heaven stirs me. Early transliterations were done by such Catholics. In point of fact, the writings of the judaeo-christian bible were lifted from extant sources almost entirely, and have been to many locales where landscape, buildings were "converted" to their use.

Here's Ursula's go: “Those whom heaven helps we call the sons of heaven. They do not learn this by learning. They do not work it by working. They do not reason it by using reason. To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment. Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven. —Chuang Tse: XXIII”

BobFenner 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ursula K Le Guin is one of the Grandmasters (excuse the gender bias) of science-fiction 7 is too often overlooked.

Grandmistresess?

She is probably my favorite author. Lathe of Heaven is great, but my favorite it The Dispossessed.

Mich, will you move to S. Cal?

I agree. "The Dispossessed" is amazing on a number of different levels. Believe it got the Hugo & Nebula that year. (If not, it should have!)

I have a passing familiarity through Merton's The Way of Chuang Tzu and the The Tao of Pooh. I am deeply attracted to the thinking and the literature and plan to study more at a later time (at present I am chewing my way through popular Buddhist and Hindu classics). Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism for me form a kind of trifecta that I regard as foundational. One of these days I will finish The Tao of Physics--but it's not high on my list because I suspect the science might be dated and I,'ve heard that it's a bunch of woo.

Thomas Merton and "Pooh" mentioned in the same line. I love it! I want to urge you to look over the smallish books penned by Alan Watts... particularly "On the Taboo of Knowing Who You Really Are". Watts was a quite learned student of Buddhism, and had a good grasp of other eastern philosophies; and his writings are MUCH shorter and easier to grasp than pouring through original tracts.

@BobFenner : Outstanding! I will definitely do that. I have seen Watts' "Taboo" recommended elsewhere, in superlative terms, so now it's decided! Thank you so much for the guidance! That kind of thing is exactly what I'm looking for here! 😀

@stinkeye_a A pleasure to share. My working def. of a friend is one who turns you onto the good things they've found, and away from the bad. Many friends have gained by perusing Watts works. Cheers.

I have a copy of the sayings of Chuang Tzu (Zhuangzi) written in English and Mandarin.

Some profound elements of my life are derived from his sayings. I'd have folks include these in their top few hundred reading experiences, and include as part of basic philosophy course work for all young people.

Le Guin fan, though mostly Earthsea related.

I agree....philosophy without religion

I appreciate Ursula Le Guin.

A great influence on me, my writing efforts. The Earth Sea works, Dispossessed, Left Hand of Darkness.... Most all her work w/ the exception of "Always Coming Home"...

I'm not a Taoist, but I like the general philosophy. Of the Eastern schools of thought, it's the one I identify with most — though I like aspects of Buddhism, too.

I really favor the idea of the daily perfection of the individual... Vs. the western idea the we're all damned from the get go; have to beg for forgiveness due to "original sin". What a dismal view to take on.

I’m a great fan of Taoist philosophy. It has helped me a lot.

skado Level 9 Jan 6, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13003
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.