Agnostic.com

19 1

Good books???

So I am into fantasy/supernatural/horror books. Anybody else? Can anybody recommend some good books or authors to check out?

OutcastVamp 4 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmmm... I love Ursula K. Le Guin. Especially fond of The Left Hand of Darkness and The Lathe of Heaven.

The Book Thief - about an orphaned girl in Nazi Germany with Death as the narrator.

Terry Goodkind, all books!

Definitely agree with The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss, Kingkiller Chronicles). Another decent series is The Warded Man (Peter V. Brett). If you're a King Arthur fan too, I highly recommend Jack Whyte's A Dream of Eagles series. The King Arthur series by Stephen R. Lawhead was excellent as well. The Dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore is phenomenal. They need to make this one a movie (provided they do it justice).

Reading Robert Wright the Moral Animal, very solid

Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Awesome fictional book with vivid storyline and character development.

Matty Level 3 July 14, 2018

The Road by Cormac Mccarthy. He's also done No Country For Old Men and Blood Meridian, but The Road is truly something chilling and even though the movie adaptation is great, it doesn't quite capture the chilling nature of the novel.

Blake Crouch -. He wrote the Wayward Pines trilogy among other things. Dan Simmons - he does both dystopian and historical horror. AMC turned one of his books into a series.

GwenC Level 7 July 13, 2018

I just finished The Outsider by Stephen King, it was a great read, very hard to put down!

I love his books!!!

Philip Pullman

Harlan Ellison.

I'm a HUGE fan of Dean Koontz.
If you enjoy books about zombies, werewolves, vampires and the like, try the "Anita Blake" series. They also start getting really sexual, but that's around book 6 or so I believe.

The Dark Tower series
Thomas Covenant the unbeliever series
The Ringworld Series by Larry Niven and Jerry pournelle
You know what I'm going to stop here cuz I could do this all night

You and I would get along great when it comes to books lol.

Anything Niven & Pournelle.

Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher, the Elric of Melinbone series by Michael Moorcock, Lovecraft, the Dune series, I hear good things about the John Dies at the End series. My girlfriend is a big Melissa Marr (I think that's her name) fan, I would also recommend Jonathan Nasaw's The World on Blood. It's not supernatural but it's a fascinating variation on vampirism. It's a little smutty, but it's a great read.

@Quazi the Codex Alera series is really good. I heard Jim Butcher talk about the ideas behind it at a convention, and bought the first book kind of randomly on recommendation from a nice guy I think was flirting with me while I was browsing the fantasy section of a B&N. And as I was reading my brain made the connection.

The story goes: he was hanging out with some writers and they were having a conversation about whether the idea or the execution was more important. And in the spirit of authors making bets, Jim Butcher says 'I can take two bad ideas and make a good story.' The two bad ideas: pokemon and the lost Roman legion.

Pokemon is derivative of the animist traditions of Shinto, whereby there exist elementally-attuned spirit creatures, and these creatures can form bonds with humans and provide them with access to magical abilities.

The lost Roman legion is an old plot device regarding a legion of roman soldiers wandering into fog or a storm and ending up transported to another place.

So the story takes place in a Roman-themed world with nature spirits called Furies, some of which are wild and some of which are bonded with almost all humans and revolves around a boy who doesn't have a Fury. Pokemon + Lost Roman Legion + time. And it's amazing. As a seven-book series it is easily 10 to 20 percent more enjoyable than the original 7 Harry Potters, and I'm a huge fan of those.

Leviathan Wakes

Marz Level 7 July 13, 2018

For fantasy, try Dean R. Koontz.

There's one I've heard about that ticks the boxes for fantasy, supernatural and horror, and it's sometimes referred to as The Good Book 😉

Salo Level 7 July 13, 2018

Julian May.

Parich Level 4 July 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:130107
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.