Agnostic.com

9 0

The "power" of faith

Is believing in superstitious something, albeit mis-based, of sufficient internal value that it positively and negatively effects people? In particular I'm asking about religious faith here. Is strong adherence to god/s, angels, demons, after lives... provide enough result in a persons physiology, psychological make up to warrant it worthwhile?

BobFenner 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sometimes they can.
I will describe a case here, that goes to a believe, which while not religious, pretty much explains how it works:
I was playing a video game, some sort of a first person shooter. I reached a boss that I was unable to beat in more than 15 attempts. Got very frustrated and entered the invincibility cheat (the GOD-mode). Defeated the boss in less than 2 minutes, without taking a single hit. When I opened the console, to deactivate the cheat, I realized I have entered it with a syntax error and essentially it hasn't been active at all. So in this particular case it was not the actual invincibility cheat but just my own belief that made me invincible.
I think something like this happens with religious people too - they believe they are protected by some invisible force in exactly the same manner that I believed I am protected by the cheat code. Which makes them more confident and confidence often brings pretty good results. Which does not mean there are not other ways to get the confidence in question, while avoiding the damage of institutionalized religion.

No faith in god or religion. Faith in me, overcoming my obstacles by pure will and dumb luck.

I think that the idea of faith is the most seriously damaging thing about most religions.

What do you mean by "worthwhile" - what positive contibution to a person's psyche could it have?

The usual guesses, conjectures here: That somehow believing would grant sense of purpose, place for folks; solace even in times of extreme stress (i.e. on passing... emphemism for croaking).

@BobFenner Sorry not feeling it.

@GoldenDoll Yeah; not for me either... at all. "Thoughts and prayers" are wishful thinking at best. Beliefs in what isn't real... worse than a waste of time, resources. Cheers

Anytime anyone lives their lives on based on things that are not real it is not beneficial. It is far better and healthy to make sound decisions based on reality. If something "just makes someone feel better" is it really good or worthwhile? I don't care if mother might feel better thinking she will be with Jesus. Entertaining a delusion is not loving or kind. If someone really cares about another human being it is better to help the come to reality because reality is much better than thinking we will go to Hell.

+1 to this

Though I wonder how many of us would, have differed with this point of view/expression in dealing with someone on their death bed. I would not dispute the person's beliefs in this setting.

@BobFenner frankly I have been there. When someone does they cease to exist therefore soon it will not matter. The time of dying is a time for comforting not a time to upset people. If asked however I would answer that death will be like it was before we were born.

It can be personally beneficial but the consequences are best described by Christopher Hitchens "Good people do good things, bad people do bad things. If you want a good person to do bad things, you make it a religion "

Not just religion I'd warrant. Folks can be turned by directed hatred by identifying differences, political bending, economic threat, military action...

It made me feel powerful at the time. And you get ego-boosting adulation from the chicken-shits who live vicariously through you. And give you money. And vehicles. And want to fuck you. Iron your clothes.

Exhibiting powerful faith is mesmerising to those that don't. It's quite sick actually.

Well stated "my man"; and a quick summation of what I perceive/d as the draw and consequences of many, MANY folks involved in the business of religions.

I think science has confirmed that it can have beneficial effects.

skado Level 9 Jan 6, 2018

Such as?

@GoldenDoll [mythoslogos.org]

The "Placebo Effect" is well documented.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13013
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.