Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK As Young Shun Religion, Believers Aging Fast

The greying of church congregations is not a new thing over here, it is rare to see a Sunday church broadcast with more than a few people in their 30’s in the audience. Gives you some hope that rational thinking will prevail.

Denker 7 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A promising trend, but the last bit is a tad unsettling.

“Curiously, irreligiosity skewed to the young is most pronounced in Christian countries.”

Maybe that’s because Christianity is the religion that requires people to believe certain things with the promise that such beliefs will get them a ticket to heaven. Put out a lot of untrue garbage and eventually people will catch on.

In contrast, some New Thought churches are gaining. [newthought.info]

Quite interesting, those New Thought denominations, and while the ones I looked at were not theistic they did have some stuff around a ‘divine force’ which I find rather vague.

@Denker my experience is that they do speak of a divine force, God, or Christ Consciousness, and in that sense they are theistic. On the other hand, they do not require any sort of belief, and they have thrown out the basic tenets of traditional Christianity.

The fact that they speak of God does not bother me, because I am open to some concepts of God. Don’t tell anyone. 🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:130494
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.