Agnostic.com

5 2

As technology advances in all the applicable areas, especially in human physiology and brain studies. I think that it is inevitable that humans will use implants, enhancements and prosthetic devices, possibly growing our own replacement parts. Brain implants or some other technology will eventually allow us to all connect 'wirelessly', (goodbye privacy).
What I'm getting at here is the Future of the Human Speciesin a thousand years (if we survive that long) is probably closer to Star Treks 'Borg' than anything else.
So what do you think? Are we headed toward a path of a species of CyberOrganisms?

RobCampbell 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I figure as long as they keep making replacement parts there's no reason why I can't live forever.

we already do

I have given it much thought. I believe within the next 50 years the ethics of what it is to be human will be a heated debate. If we are able to augment DNA and make people smarter then in a couple of generations augmented humans could be considered sub-human. This is not to mention implants, and connections to interfaces such as computers. What if we all have perfect memory? We know this is possible as some, very few humans do. So human beings will not be what they were even 50 years before. We will augment our own evolution. So at what point will we no longer be considered humans but something else a new species that is not able to breed with the former due to genetic incompatibility. I think this could happen as soon as the next 100 years.

And since any artificial enhancement will have a cost, one big challenge will be how to prevent this from creating a society divided by castes. But I don't think this risk should be reason to prevent the pursuit of eugenics of any form

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13100
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.