Agnostic.com

3 3

What do you think spiritualism really is?

I feel spiritualism is most certainly real but not in the way most people use it. Words are very important to me. They are the birth of reason, expression, and give us ways of experiencing things that without words we couldn't experience. Strangely I find that we lack words for certain emotions and sensations. Without the word an air of mysticism surrounds the experience which leads to things we can't express other than with "spiritual". Words in other languages can though and if we used them or something like them we might be more understanding of the nuance of emotion and the human condition.

Spiritual word of the day:
Sisu-finnish-the emotion of extraordinary determination in the face of adversity. The word doesn't translate well but it doesn't mean bravery, or perseverance. It's a more intense feeling like Sam carrying Frodo up Mordor intense.

SocraticAddict 6 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I might be off here, but I see the word as describing that which science has not yet discovered or understands (quantum physics is an interesting field often beyond my understanding). Once science can make sense of it then it moves from the shaky and vague realm of spiritual to the more secure realm of science.

I think it is a word people use when they want to sound a bit superior. It sounds good, but never really means anything. It never impresses me. I'm sorry if that sounds cynical, but it's how I see it.

I think it translates to stones.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13115
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.