Agnostic.com

6 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are not omniscient. It’s intellectually dishonest to say impossible without being able to demonstrate omniscience on the issue. Which is a trap the believer wants us in. They don’t like intellectual honesty or modeling the doubt they want us to show. Instead I just say the evidence is consistent with man made invention of ideas and in lieu of objective evidence my provisional position is there is not a god or gods as you claim.

I agree with Dawkins. Of all the gods in history, I only believe in one less than you do. That said, proving something does not exist is....quite a task. So, go with evidence

I'm an Agnostic Atheist according to this chart

"100% certain"? What does that mean?

@godef It seems pretty straightforward to me. When someone is "100% certain" about something that means they have no doubt in their mind and they know it to be true. For examples, I am 100% certain that I am typing on my keyboard (as I'm typing this response).

@joeymf86 But the word "certain" is not absolute. "I'm not absolutely sure, but I'm certain."

@godef I think we're just using different definitions of the word "certain" then. If you google the definition of "certain," it has two entries for the word used as an adjective. The first entry has two parts each with an example of how to use the word:

"- known for sure; established beyond doubt
'it's certain that more changes are in the offing'

• having complete conviction about something; confident.
    'are you absolutely certain about this?'"

I'm using the first part of the definition (known for sure; established beyond doubt)
You are using the second part (having complete conviction about something; confident)

@joeymf86 Looks like my notion of the word is a bit off. Never mind!

I'm also an agnostic atheist. Certainty is an emotion which has nothing to do with any rational analysis. It's a belief, nothing more.

@recluse I don't see how you came up with that conclusion. People have different ways of "proving" their beliefs. Someone can go from agnostic to gnostic (or vice versa) from their own deduction/reasoning or some experience they went through.

@joeymf86 I'm deleting my posts. If you look at the bottom axis title, THAT is correct. I was remiss in not seeing that at first. If you look only at the bottom two quadrants for agnosticism, the description is lacking. My mistake.

Edit: but I stand by what I said about you guys talking about certainty. There is no room for semantics. If you're not "100% certain" then you're not certain. You are or you aren't.

I've always thought of atheism and agnosticism as two ends of a spectrum; most people are probably somewhere inbetween.

godef Level 7 July 15, 2018

A person can be against Theism (belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe) but maintain personal beliefs that don't conform with that concept! I'm an atheist through and through! 🙂

Pete66 Level 6 July 15, 2018

Although being against Theism is a tendency of many atheist due to its nature, atheist in and of itself does not necessarily mean "anti-theism." I personally believe it's my patriotic duty as an American to respect and even defend the right of others to believe as they wish. However, it's a two-edged sword: I will get down on those who don't respect who I am and try to enforce their beliefs on me.

@godef being against a belief doesn't necessarily mean being against those individuals who follow that belief (although some certainly do deserve derision)

You sure can.

Tejas Level 8 July 15, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:131172
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.