Agnostic.com

9 5

It’s amazing to go back and really study the Bible, while connecting the dots then realize just how ridiculous and unrealistic it sounds. I’ve shaked my head plenty of times in shame for even thinking this was the word of god. I’m so glad I broke through at an early age, which was fourteen, but then again I was never really religious or grew up in a super religious home, anyway. So I try not to beat myself up too much.

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never grew up with it so I don't know how it feels to have to get away from it.
I read about a lot of people describing it feeling like a huge weight was lifted from their shoulders.

I realised it was crap from Sunday school at 5 years old so didn't have to read that stupid book and still don't want to.

I inherited a book from my dad called "The Skeptic's Bible" -- I think. Totally going off memory here. Anyway, it's the coolest book ever. It is laid out almost identically to a bible, but in the margins and/or at the bottom of the page there are numbered notes corresponding to the numbered paragraphs of all the inconsistencies and complete and utter b.s. in the bible. "So and so had no kids? But, one page BACK, you say he had 87 kids." (Made up example.)

@DonCoryon I still have it -- in another room. 🙂

it is sad to know if you had open a book of mythology by the age of 8 , you would have been an atheist straight away. Brainwashing is the only way to keep religions going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol I never wanted to read it at 8, but decided several years later at 14 that it was ridiculous.

Some say the quickest way to become an atheist is to read the Bible and see what it actually says.

The Bible makes soooo much more sense when you stop trying to read it as a "unified message from God." Ridiculous still, yes, but at least the ridiculousness is purely a product of 40ish different religious minds over several thousands of years and cultures, rather than some Schizophrenic God that just wants to confuse us.

Yep because by then you just look at it as nothing more but a story about good vs evil.

Some fairytales are more believable

That is absolutely the case, I believe if you read it without outside interference you can see how it contradicts itself and really how ridiculous the whole concept is. I have also read the Quran and you only have to pick a page at random and a lot of the time you'll find it telling you of some sort of punishment or violence toward those who don't believe. Seems to me these books are not sure of themselves so they go on and on about believing in the religion they are promoting ( They do protest do much me thinks)

We weren't super religious. Just prayed at meals, no sex as a teenager, and stay in school. 2 of those rules helped me. Not the praying.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13120
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.