Agnostic.com

6 0

Teaching English in Latin American

I am taking the CELTA course in Monitanita Ecuador. It is a Cambridge University certification to teach English to adults of other languages. It would be great to meet someone interested in doing the same thing.
It feels like a big step for a 60 year old to do alone! It's perfect if you're interested in traveling and meeting real people from other cultures.
Please, if you've taken the CELTA or want to. I'd love to hear about your thoughts/ experiences!

PatrickMyers 4 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love learning languages. By the way, English is not my native language. That's why I still enjoy learning it!

It all started with my passion for music. I realized I needed English lyrics to make my way into the music industry. Of course, I was still in high school then, and I just had some friends with whom we formed a thrash metal band. We borrowed a lot from our favorite artists, but our lyrics were original. But they lacked grammatical accuracy. Before I went to university, I broke up with the band. Nobody wanted to go to NYU with me. I went to Practical IELTS courses to get an education in the language. And it worked out. My zeal to make music and write lyrics in a language that is foreign to me, along with these practical courses, raised my language to the IELTS level.

I'm a mite confused here. Your profile indicates you are in Irving, TX. Does this mean you are taking the CELTA with intentions of moving to Ecuador? If so, do you have any experience with living in Latin American countries? Also, why Ecuador?

I taught/tutored English and German as foreign languages in Mexico to engineers and management at various maquiladoras around the country for a couple of years. It was one of the more fun things I've done.

I want to take the course in Ecuador. I want to move to Plato Carmen Mexico.

@PatrickMyers -- Are you talking about Playa del Carmen in QR?

Playa Del Carmen (spell check)

@PatrickMyers -- Gotta love technology. 🙂 I assume you've already been there so I won't belabor how gorgeous it is. Feeling envious about now.

It's a brave move. I wish you every success. I'm afraid to move even though life is fairly routine here.

That sounds like a great way to see the world with a like minded lady. I just graduated eCornell in Nutritional Studies doing WFPB Lifestyle now. Graduated from OSU in 1968 as a Food Scientist. Had a great career & no one believes my age. I'm very active, healthy & everything is a working. Yes, I'm interested.

Tempting, very tempting... but just relocated yesterday to Las Vegas.

That would undoubtedly be a very rewarding experience for you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:132449
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.