Agnostic.com

20 4

Too harsh?

So I have a friend who has a friend that is a witch, right ? My friend was wanting a type of revenge on an energy and that spell is called a freezer spell. Well, anyway, my friend decided to complain to me the other night about how the spell don’t seem to be working and how her enemy seems to still be getting away with everything and living the good life. I kinda blew up cause my friends enemy did her very wrong and I blurted,” Those so called spells are whack! Nothing seems to be working!” She got all offended cause I blurted how I felt about so called spells and the fact she kept complaining about her dumb enemy.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally I don't have any good friends who believe in woo, that's just me.

I rarely criticize acquaintances when they talk woo, but I rarely hang out for long either.

Careful or your friend might have a spell cast on YOU. :}

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. As I understand it, it sounds as though your friend is involved in an Earth Magic idea. The general premise is to do no harm to any life. Its not a judgmental concept, just that whatever you administer must return to the sender 'seven' fold. To cast negative returns negative. If she is a true practioner she should know that and not be surprised if things take a downturn. Your friend's friend needs to address the situation personally and not invoke anything that she wouldn't like to happen to her.

Even if your friend and her magic AREN'T nonsense:

1. if you're using magic in an effort for petty revenge, you're not only going to fail you're going to be punished by the Law of Threes and the Law of Returns. Someone is bad at being a witch.

2. it isn't supposed to be big immediately noticeable large events, it's subtle manipulations of energy which are often indistinguishable until the long-term. Someone is bad at being a witch.

3. if her enemy has built a ward or protective charm her magic will do nothing. Someone is bad at being...you get the idea.

Your friend sounds like she has some issues with feeling powerless in her life and...frankly some other vaguely concerning social/emotional issues, which she has turned to mysticism to fix or bolster.

I'm not sure whether to suggest comfort at the fact she has chosen a system that allows her personal agency to affect change in her own life or further concern she's chosen a system with extra layers of mystic trappings that have no scientific merit.

My friend told me he was a psychic. I told him I was Spiderman!

I also told my friend that I was Storm.

It's no different from how Christian prayers for protection or healing or success or finding your car keys or whatever work only in the way that a stopped clock works: twice a day. They demonstrably have no outcome that can be usefully distinguished from random happenstance, and yet, when you point this out in any way, even when the believer is themselves expressing angst about it not working ... they manage to be offended. Because dog forbid that you should rain on their parade, however ineffectual it may be.

It is better in any case to just be present for people who are venting, as it's all they really want. Don't give advice or opinions unless they ask for them. Just agree (if you can do so without being inauthentic) that whatever they say sucks, sucks.

I also agree that regardless of your friend's beliefs, a desire for revenge is dysfunctional and toxic to your friend. And an ideology that incites adherents to revenge and the imposition of control on the free choice of others is inherently maladaptive. But there again ... other than very oblique nudges in a better direction of forgiveness and not taking things personally, there's not much you can really do actively. Just be an example to your friend of a better way of being.

I wonder, by the way, if many Wiccans might think your friend misunderstands Wicca. I don't know much about Wicca, but what little I know suggests that your friend is following a sort of caricature of Wicca rather than the actual religion. When I've heard it presented it has been as a sort of nature-as-god pantheism, peace loving and not seeking to punish other people for not being you.

I’ve yet to see a spell or prayer heal AIDS, cancer or amputees.

@EmeraldJewel the literature is actually full of spells and rituals for ensuring health, aiding in the cure of diseases and maladies (many are relatively trustworthy herbal aids like St. Johns Wort and garlic and ginseng and gingko wrapped up in mystic trappings and fancy nomenclature plus the power of positive thinking and/or placebo effect) there are spells to avoid red lights, speeding tickets...if it's a thing, someone somewhere has a spell for it.

The big boom in Wicca and similar magic-flavored neopagan spiritual models in the 90s helped modernize the practice.

You're a good mate to have! Nothing worse than a mate who sugar coats crap because in reality, why go through life thinking alls good because your mates don't tell you how it is? Nope, you are just fine in what you did, don't ever change 😉

Might as well tell her its time to grow up and leave silly things like that behind...

People who know the names of specific spells are Clearly practicing religion of some kind.....which is their right, of course.
Just tell her what you would tell a Mormon or anybody else who wanted to babble on about such mumbo-jumbo.........your time is far too valuable to waste on it!

You are a great friend. I couldn't have listen without laughing. Make sure you get in that persons "last will and testament". Cause the day she waves a wand in the wrong person. Ca-ching.

Mokvon Level 8 July 17, 2018

Maybe she should dedicate her energy to improving herself instead of seeking revenge. Revenge only tends to keep circulating the pain back to the revenge-seeker

Did she double bubble toil and trouble? Maybe she only did one bubble. That could be the problem. Have her try again. ?

LMAO!!!

May be the magic is rejecting her efforts to tell her to stop wasting her time and move on or borrow his baseball bat and take out his knees.

Lmfao you had me dying of laughter!

Maybe she should consider what she could do differently to improve her life. Maybe the “enemy” is working her ass off to earn the good life.

UUNJ Level 8 July 16, 2018

Her friend, now enemy is a YouTuber who just talks about celebrity lives and the Illuminati and which star is going to be blood sacrificed all day on YouTube.

@EmeraldJewel Doesn’t sound like she’s living the high life. Can’t see why your friend is jealous

@UUNJ ikr! I guess she’s jealous over the amount of views her now enemy gets. It’s freaking YouTube!!! A channel where she talks about freaking celebrities!!!

Its not really too harsh, if she didn't wanna hear the possibility of the truth from you then like why ask, ?

The witch vs the atheist. What must the Xians think?

godef Level 7 July 16, 2018

No one wins! That we were both of the Devil! Wink wink!

I like your attitude, on alot of things.

Not too harsh. Just the truth. Some folks can't handle it.
You keep being you. 😉

It’s important to respect your friends beliefs, but the same goes for her respecting yours. If she didn’t want to hear the truth from you, she should stop complaining.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:132737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.