Agnostic.com

7 4

Anyone else a Charles Howard Hinton (the 1800s mathemetician/sci fi writer) fan? The closest I ever came to spirituality was in college when I found his writings. The way he talks about geometry and the fourth dimension is poetic. Almost magic.

"It is an attempt, in the most elementary and simple domain, to pass from the lower to the higher. In pursuing it the mind passes from one kind of intuition to a higher one, and with that transition the horizon of thought is altered. It becomes clear that there is a physical existence transcending the ordinary physical existence; and one becomes inclined to think that the right direction to look is, not away from matter to spiritual existences but towards the discovery of conceptions of higher matter, and thereby of those material existences whose definite relations to us are apprehended as spiritual intuitions."

[ibiblio.org]

[ibiblio.org]

I'm a hobby genealogist, so I love things from the 1800s, especially old science books.

Seafoamgreen 4 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm not familiar with Hinton but connections went off and so I dug out the following for you if you are not already familiar. I also think that the Gutenburg free library has an easily accessible copy.

Reading of your love of poetry I will message you a link to performances if you request them.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

I love flatland!

@Seafoamgreen: Flatland an epiphany but, misogynistic from memory.

You may be familiar with him for coining the term "tesseract"

I wonder if science is stripped of all it's terminology, HLA Molecules etc etc does it reduce to patterns and pattern recognition (geometry) the maths merely quantifies the geometry?

Sounds almost like Carlos Castaneda (A Yaqui way of Knowledge, Journey to Ixtlan).
I prefer Philip K. Dick and Robert Heinlein.

I felt very spiritual when studying relativity in college. It seemed so full of paradoxes it comforted me that the truth is more complicated than people act like.

Myah Level 6 Jan 7, 2018

Exactly! Math can be beautiful.

The 'truth' is probably beyond any humans comprehension.

I don't know, yet.

Thank you very much. I'm not familiar with Hinton but I am a fan of literature from that general period. I'll look it up shortly.

Update: I just read your bio and I agree with you. I think the Golden Rule is a little naive and a little selfish. I've heard it called the Platinum Rule where you treat people the way they want to be treated. Lol.

What else from that period are you into reading? There's something so poetic about the language they used back then. I love it

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.