Agnostic.com

15 6

Bad Breath

A dear friend or a loved one occasionally has malodorous breath. Do you privately inform them of this, or do you let it slide, thinking it's not a consistent problem? If you opt to tell them, how do you do it in as kindly a manner as possible?

RobLawrence 7 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

could be tonsil stones....those things smell like shit

Bad breath can make you one break you. Advise to carry mouthwash around. May need to get his mouth checked

KINDLY A MANNER???? FFS, if it's a problem just say SOMETIMES YOU HAVE NOTICEABLY BAD BREATH. ARE YOU AWARE OF THIS??? IF NOT, TRY DENTAL FLOSS. It is UNKIND of you to not have just said so, long ago!!

@RobLawrence So you're a fiction writer with a fictional question that you didn't actually give a fig about. Great, keep wasting everyone's time. Glad you're easily entertained. Have you ever posted about Fukushima???? THAT at least IS a real problem. Stay amusing. Have a nice evening.

Gum disease and tooth decay can have a serious impact on heart health! According to both the AMA & ADA. Plus just think how close that infected/not right area is to the brain!
Definitely insist on a checkup from both a dentist & a doctor unless he iseating a lot of garlic and/or onions! (Which even brushing & mouthwash should cure!)

You definitely want to keep it low key and just be honest. I have the same issue with my own father. For years family and friends have made hints to him and he refuses to go to the dentist due to bad experiences. So he occasionally uses a breath freshening spray. I guess he's trying, but most times, I just have to keep my distance in order not to gag.

And you've simply told him to his face that you have been hiding your gag reflex all these years??? Try being direct and honest - - what's he going to do, slug you for saying "I' love you dad but you are making it impossible to stay in the same room with you. Here's some dental floss.... Your "mouth spray"is useless and possibly toxic, so quit kidding yourself.

@Johngwhiz problem is, dental floss is not enough. He's got far worse problems and I have emphasised that bad infections can cause bigger health issues. But what can you do with a stubborn old man?

Either this tip doesn't work or I definately do not have a breath issue.

Try this at home..right now..

Lick the back of your hand..a moment later smell your hand...if you have bad breath you will then be able to smell it ...

Tell them privately, and gently. It could be the result of a medical issue, or brought on by medication. They may be aware of it and unable to do anything about it. Dental work is usually quite expensive, and hardly ever covered by most insurance. Or they could be unaware of it entirely, and a little knowledge is helpful. Not all bad breath situations belie poor oral hygiene.

True. Sinus infections can cause it. Also, bacteria can get caught in the little pockets at the very back of the throat.

I'd wait until they were off guard and then we'd hold them down and then waterboard them with Listerine. Fun AND effective!

Tell them. I would want to be told so I can do something about it.

There is no polite way. Either you are a true friend and tell them because they need to know. If they are a true friend as well then they will take it the right way and have whatever the issue might be fixed.... If everything happens that way then full circle, life goes on

what is impolite about a factual statement???

@Johngwhiz DO YOU THINK YOU CAN TROLL ME YOU FREAKING MORON???????....See, that was impolite and a factual statement.

would you tell your friend about a nasty mold (which could be cancerous)? Do it and tell him it's about your concern about their health.

Lukian Level 8 July 18, 2018

If it was me I would very much like to know. It would be initially mortifying..but if nobody tells you how can you know?

A friend of mine that I like/dislike has some horrible breath on occasion. He knows and has taken steps to resolve, so I just hold my breath at times and let him talk to people.

Oh I would definitely say something...I was kindly told that my breath was really bad and found out that I had a curable stomach condition...I never would have known because you really can't smell your own breath...not only did my breath get better, it can prevent me from getting stomach cancer, so do it!

It seems so many cancers,if caught early enough, can be stopped, or possible cured.

Yes,there is a link between teeth and gum problems with heart disease, politely suggest a Dentist visit,followed by a Doctors visit,to stop something before it gets out of control.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:133884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.