Agnostic.com

5 1

Mad Woman ramblings follow up

Because I have to share: This is a conversation between two evangelical women in reply to my comment. I kid you not!! I copied and pasted.

Eve 1-
Once during an especially traumatic time, I actually heard the Holy Spirit comforting me (it came as a thought but I know it wasn’t mine because it interrupted me).

I was grieving very deeply and the voice said, “It’s ok. It’s going to be ok.” And I stopped and stood there for second, jolted by what I just heard. The voice was so loving and deeply comforting.

Then I heard, “If you didn’t experience times like this, you wouldn’t be asking the kinds of questions you’re asking now.”

And that’s when I thought, what’s kinds of questions am I asking? And that analysis of myself gave me more insight.

Questions lead to understanding and growth, etc.

And the journey revealed more of God’s personality to me and underscored Biblical principles in a way I hadn’t understood them before.

He didn’t cause my pain but He definitely worked through it. “God is close to the broken-hearted.”

Eve 2-
Lyn, that is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing your own personal story. To me, that is the beauty of our relationship with God, it is completely unique and personal to each one of us. An atheist could never convince me that the things I have experienced with God have not happened to me. I'm sure you would say the same things. I have had very similar experiences where something came out of my mouth that I knew did not come from me. It was too profound for my simple mind to formulate.

When my son died, the book "The Shack" came out. It helped me understand the Trinity in a way I had never understood Before. I could feel God wrapping me up in His arms like my loving Heavenly Father. Jesus was the friend who would let me share MY true feelings like no human friend could ( humans either want you to stop grieving because it makes them feel uncomfortable or they try to rush you through the process by telling you what you SHOULD do as a "good Christian",) and the Holy spirit was that the voice/spirit that would bring insight/blessings/mysteries to me in such a way that I knew that it was real.

helionoftroy 7 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds more like schizophrenia than a visitation etc..

Hearing voices in your head or "something coming out of your mouth" ..that did not come from you"
???
That's not the Holy Spirit...its nuts.

Schizophrenia did come to mind.

@helionoftroy

Yes everyone in my head agrees...?

This sort of self-ratifying nonsense represents the everyday discourse of any reasonably devout evangelical. It illustrates how real it is to them. It also illustrates what an existential threat critical thinking is to their ideology. Even a basic understanding of confirmation bias and agency inference would completely negate this conversation's ability to reinforce dogma and belief.

Now I know why the church opposes abortion...it needs every brainless one it can get to continue surviving.

Do you realize how much of your precious Only Life you just wasted typing this? How much more have you wasted giving it thought? Stop!

I didn’t type it. I copied and pasted. This is an actual conversation between two evangelical Christians who hear voices. Everything good or bad that happens in their life is because of their lord and savior. The most I’ve typed is this reply.

Christians use their imaginations to fabricate communication with God. It improves their standing with other Christians.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:135173
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.