Agnostic.com

9 0

Good books for agnostics?

What good do you suggest I read about our beliefs? Looking to expand my knowledge about our beliefs.

freedom41 9 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would start with solid, well researched history. Maybe the books of Karen Armstrong, who is quite strong in comparative religion.

I would suggest to read History concerning the Reformation, The Dark Ages and Inquisition. Your belief is your disbelief that can be reached by examining the wars, torture and bloodshed which were spurred and ignited through anyone who dared confront or question. Lost Scriptures by Bart Erhman, 'Here I Stand' by Roland Bainton. You will find all the necessary suggestions about beliefs and how they got started. Don't forget to look up Erasamus, Jan Hus and John Wycliffe. Just make sure that you get documented and renown Scholars and Academics whom have no Religious Affiliations whatsoever. Try it you'll be on the road to what you are pursuing.

Any science text book might be a good place to start.

A Separate Reality

Where the red fern grows

Qiru Level 6 July 21, 2018

@goldenvalleyguy and so

Lol !

Add the Talmud, Torah, Quran, Gnostic Bibles, Vedas, and the Pali Canon. Understanding that which is different then your own beliefs is always wise.

@Fibonacci1618 laughing with you.

@Dougl35534 So what's wrong with the Popol Vuh then? The Only Ancient Mythology Narrative that mentioned 3 major races!!!!

@GipsyOfNewSpain nothing is wrong with it, read away. Why I wouldn't include it in my top reading list is the number of people following the indigenous belief that it is associated with it are minimal, so chances of me running into a person who has a clue about is minimal and like a lot of other many other indigenous beliefs, christianity and primarily Catholicism have basically cannibalized it by being blended in...thanks missionaries.

@Dougl35534 Got You. Back to read the bible then... after the popol vuh.

Drunk With Blood: God’s killings in the Bible by Steve Wells is informative and funny.

If you don't mind me asking.. What do you mean by "our beliefs"? Being an Atheist = lacking of a belief or rejection of supernatural claims.. A-THEISM = Not a theist.. Agnosticism= lacking of knowledge of supernatural claims.. You can be a Humanist, secular or otherwise, a skeptic,. Etc..
But if you are looking for a good read... ' Letter to a Christian Nation' Sam Harris.. is a very easy but powerful read.. also 'The End of Faith' also by Sam Harris.. of course 'The God Delusion' , Blind Watchmaker, Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins and 'god is not Great how religion poisons everything', Hitch 22.. 'Foundational falsehoods of Creationism' Aron Ra.. and Dr. Richard Carrier's books on the historicity of Jesus..
Hope that helps

Why I Am Not A Christian, Bertrand Russell.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:136400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.