Agnostic.com

9 2

Am I the only one who doesn't believe in Cable?

I don't believe in Cable television. Do you?

STLChris1963 4 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe in cable because I get a bill every month.

If my wife didn't watch Certain Shows such that we need to receive Certain Networks, I would have cut the cable sooner. Actually I think I could get away with that now, it's just inertia and the certain knowledge that there will be Problems To Work Out, that keep me from doing it.

A few hundred channels of crap is my opinion. I can't understand how anyone could enjoy or endure spending all night re-watching re-repeats on Reality Paint Drying (+1) (HD). It was great when UK had 4 channels to choose from (the 5th was a non event). There was pressure to broadcast quality as they knew people were actually watching it rather than just paying for it. And when there was nothing to watch it didn't take all week to find out!

Salo Level 7 July 23, 2018

Yes, l have seen it. It does exist, and l get it free.

But, it is so fleeting!

@STLChris1963 What isn't? ☺

I dumped cable TV long ago, 100 channels and nothing on. I only stream movies these days and maybe some old TV like Babylon 5 that I am currently watching. I seldom watch network TV but if I want to, I have a 40 ft tower with an antenna rotor and can pick up 3 metro areas.

Sweet, I bought one of the RCA long range antennas but never got to put it up. What are the three distances you are receiving?

@STLChris1963 About 50 - 60 miles. From here I can pick up Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay.

@Mark013 My research led me to conclude 60-70 miles was about the limit. I've seen antenna products advertised for 100 miles, you know, snake oil.

I "believe in" cable. It exists. It is real. People pay a lot of money for it.

I have DirecTv for TV, etc. A blu ray player where I get my Netflix and Amazon. And, cable for Internet access. It is entirely possible I could get everything I need without the contract, but I always find more pressing things to do than to try to figure it out.

I had no idea how provocative my choice of words would become!

Believe? Strange question. Do you mean approve, enjoy, participate in?

I'll have to be more clear!

I don't have cable and haven't watched television for a long time. I still watch television shows on my television monitor via the computer and network websites. I used to have to record things because I was busy when they were on so it's really no different except that I don't pay the cable bill anymore.

Once in a while, I will remember to turn on my TV for 60 Minutes on a Sunday. Usually, I miss the start time, which makes me the only non-sports-oriented person in the USA to be glad the NFL delayed the start of my program...

@STLChris1963 One of my favorite programs.

@Stephanie99 I managed to turn on the tv and adjust the rabbit ears just in time for 60 minutes tonight, lol.

I am confused is cable some new belief system? Or are you talking about all cable companies that provide access to television and internet? I mean what is it you do not believe that it works or that it even exists? What about satellite television?

DeiP Level 5 July 23, 2018

I don't think there is such a thing as a new belief system. I am talking about the monopolistic corporations who provide sub par service for high prices, without affording the consumer any choice in programming or alternative sources. Of course, I am aware of its existence as a functioning attention-grabbing, mind-numbing experience that occasionally provides that sense of suspense which is key to all human happiness. As far as satellite television, I prefer something a little more wind- and cloud-proof for my conduit to the world.

@STLChris1963 there are way to many monopolistic corporations. I believe Cable is just one of the many. I do not like them and would love to see something done about it. But I have doubts this will happen anytime soon. And there are current only so many choices for getting this conduit to the world .... and this choice is limited even more depending where you live. For example I do not even have the choice to recieve cable where I live. But I know it exists.
I guess what I am saying is ... you started a conversation on a site geared at not believing in something we do not have proof of and you ask a question about believing in something that we all know is real. So I was trying to understand what you were asking.

@DeiP I admit, I hadn't thought this one through. Thanks for your reply.

No, you are not. There are actually people who do not have a TV as strange as it sounds. I hardly put mine on. I rather read a book.

I was just wondering, because I've never met anyone besides myself who was so inclined to not even have a tv.

@STLChris1963 If my TV broke I would probably not even notice it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:137510
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.