Agnostic.com

14 1

I watch too much sports. Does anyone else get annoyed by players crossing themselves and pointing to the sky as if some mythical god helped them get a touchdown or base hit? Does the god really give a rats butt about sports?

#god
Specman 6 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, it doesn't bother me. I do think it is weird when people pray for a positive outcome, when obviously the outcome will be negative for someone else.

Because I am Hispanic, I kind enjoy the cultural superstition. Call it "quaint."

I can't say it bothers me, no. I just think it's stupid.

Doesn't annoy me, I don't acknowledge it any more!

I don't think it's a problem. If someone believes in a God and feels that their progress is attributed to being in favor with said God, then that's fine. Whatever makes them happy. Personally, I prefer to credit my hard work and perseverance rather than something make-believe, but I try to ignore other people's superstitions and I try not to think about it too much.

I try to tune it out, but some baseball fans I know have made an interesting exercise out of tracking a batter’s plate appearance music, it’s not that uncommon for a Christian rock song or two to be in the mix. Normally, it’s just a short clip, though.

Yes it bothers me a little when I see players crossing themselves and also when they bow their head on the field like they’re praying. It’s just unreal how people can put so much faith into something that doesn’t exist to start with. However those people don’t bother me as bad as those who take a knee during the national anthem as they are disrespecting the veterans who fought and died for this country and made it possible for them to make all that money to start with.

Perhaps the problem is that the deity also watches too much sports and is, therefore, not paying attention to all the terrible things going down.

These really funny. lol

mwaba Level 3 Jan 9, 2018

I'm obsessed with cycling, a sport that has many traditions and superstitions.

Italian riders, for example, believe that they'll suffer bad luck during the race if they pass salt to one another during team meals both before the race and while it's in progress. Some are content to pick up a salt shaker once it's been replaced in the middle of the table while others prefer not to take risks and insist on having their own shaker and will not pass it to anyone.

The salt superstition stems from the old belief that spilled salt somehow causes the devil to appear and get up to the sorts of high jinks with which he is associated. Danish Michael Sandstød was above all that: when he spilled salt during a team dinner, he decided to show his fellow cyclists a thing or two and deliberately brushed the salt onto the floor, which is an absolute no-no among the superstitious (the correct thing to do is to pick up some of the salt and throw it over your left shoulder so that it hits the devil in the eye, apparently), saying "It's just salt, do you see!". The very next day, Sandstød suffered a terrible crash on a fast downhill and smashed his shoulder and eight ribs, one of which punctured a lung so he spent the next few days on a ventilator. He retired not long afterwards, and the superstition lives on to this day.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

I ignore them like the td celebration. I am just strictly about the game between the lines until the whistle. But I been dumping sports left and right. If the Jaguars were not in the playoffs my nfl season will be over. I also hate the commercials in the superbowl or the music. I don't want to see athletes in my concert... or musicians in my game. god can take the ball and deflate it anytime he wants. Wont hurt me.

I'm waiting for someone to say it was God's plan for them to fumble the ball

I'm waiting for someone to say it was God's plan for them to fumble the ball

I can not fathom any one that would worship a god that would reward selfish self centered individuals with the audacity to ask to win an insignificant ball game ,while there are billions of less fortunate people

Yes, they give no thought about the kids that are around the world that are dying because of starvation and disease.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13780
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.