Agnostic.com

15 4

Hello folks! I'm new here. I find I'm a little surprised by how religion-based a lot of the conversation is. I'd rather not define myself from the theist point of view, and I hope to start some conversations about the things I love to talk about -- evolutionary biology (see my post about Ian Tattersall/Jeffrey Shwartz's book), cosmology, society, music, and maybe cycling. I came her to get away from the constant religiousity of my facebook feed. Anyone else feel this way?

chicagojcb 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The longer it has been since we got away from religion, the less we probably are going to talk about it. When I was first free, I could tell you all the things that I thought were wrong, and things I was opposed to. In my early 40's took a class on "What did I actually believe". It was an eye opener for me. Actually had some beliefs, like it was important to be kind to others, responsible for what we do, etc. Put me into a search mode, which I am still on. Also being retired, am pretty much away from religious people, so don't have to deal with religion on a regular basis. Just pick and choose what is of interest.

Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful welcome! What a terrific thread to find on my 2nd day here! I'm looking forward to more conversations and to getting to know many of you.

Welcome and have fun!
😛

Welcome to the site. I see way to much religious talk, even politics.There is a new setting that you can see less of certain topics. But, I don't think it's working right now.

MoniB Level 6 Jan 9, 2018

Hi @Chicagojcb. Pretty cold your way atm? My bio lists my musical tastes. Although not into evolutionary biology or cosmology I'm usually open to having my focus moved and am usually a good listener.
What do you mean by "society"?

Hi @FrayedBear, Thanks for the questions. I'll check out your interests in music; maybe we can have some good conversations. I suppose by "society" I mean things that can morph into politics. I'm concerned about inequality, about education, and about bias, among many other things. I am white and privileged and I know it. I look for ways to level the playing field.

@chicagojcb it gives me a little giggle writing your user name as I know a jcb as a sort of tractor for digging ditches and foundations. Having got that off my chest thank you for your elucidation. I believe however that everything now is political one way or another. I used to belong to a group called "grumpy old wrinklies" run at the local branch of U3A (University of the Third Age) until they threw me out because I did not agree with one 80+ year olds bullying insistance that if we talked (whinged) about religion, politics or sex he was walking out and taking his wife with him! Here I have to censor myself as it was more important to me that I remained a member for the exercise classes.

@FrayedBear never heard of the tractor thingy. I'm a polish peasant, though, so it fits pretty well. 🙂 They do say that whenever you have 3 or more people in a room you have politics. I guess I don't have a problem with that, as long as there is mutual respect. I see more of that on this forum than I've seen just about anywhere else in many a year. It's refreshing.

@chicagojcb although the Polish migrants(refugees) that I have encountered have quite some interesting delusions as to their ancestry I have never met one claiming peasantry. I have for many years however been an admirer and promoter of the song and dance from that fantastic Polish group Slask who have been going since the early 1950's. I have broadcast many hours of their recordings and will grab a YouTube url for everyone to appreciate their great performances and preservation of Polish traditional song and dance ..how I despise current commercial pap and record company's 3 month shelf life for most modern music which has resulted in world homogenization of people's musical preferences.

@chicagojcb and any one else interested in dance, music, traditional costuming and song please do yourself a favour and listen to the Polish National Folk Song and Dance Ensemble Slask. Listen and watch the 8 minute performance:

Popular Slask Song and Dance Ensemble & Krakowiak videos:

In my opinion anyone who says that this music, dance steps, traditional costuming and song is anything other than the product of elegant sophisticated brains needs to get back on their programmes and meds. Pshaw "peasants"!
Enjoy Polish tradition. 🙂

@FrayedBear thank you! This is awesome. I've spent most of my adult life enjoying international folk music and dance -- primarily the Balkans but also some from the northern Eastern European countrys, plus others that have great dance traditions -- Basque, Scandinavian, Israel, Germany. Bulgaria in particular has amazing rhythms and some of the best dancing ever.

I've started skipping most of the religious(bashing) posts.

Carl Sagan was famous for continually talking about religion. Like me , he was an atheist who found religion fascinating. It gives a vital 'doorway' of knowledge into hu-man nature

you have got a great point. it makes you wonder why? I have found on n facebook ay that atheists are as obsessed with not liking religion as the pro-religious then again I guess this is called agnostic.com

I gave up on FaceBook to for many reasons.

Welcome! I canned FB the day I joined this site. I look forward to reading your post. Catch you later. 😉

Nena Level 6 Jan 9, 2018

@Nena I've only been here a few days and must admit that I am delighted at the breadth of opinion outside of the "let's out do the 'god botherer's' propaganda with our own". Opinion mainly coming in the spirit of supportiveness of others rather than denigration and destruction. I haven't yet dropped Facebook as I rely upon it for news, not having t.v. nor newspapers for a long time.

@FrayedBear I no longer read the paper or watch t.v. news, although I do enjoy the spin Trevor Noah and Steven Cobert add to current headline news from time to time. Welcome to the community!

I am still on FB mostly because it helps me keep in touch with people I care about who don't live near me. Now I have a good excuse to get off, though -- to come here!

I also don't watch TV or read local papers. I read The Economist -- have for more than 10 years now. I like that it devotes a section every week to every part of the world.

Thanks for your welcome!

@chicagojcb your economist reference reminds me that a 92 yo friend avidly reads it. Whilst it contains a lot of good information I do always have to remind people that it belongs to Murdoch. Strangely enough some years ago a bright young Australian worked for a friend on a disgusting local rag that only published press releases from others who could be sued rather than create their own news. I digress, went working for the economist. This bright young fellow in my opinion was a nasty arrogant who was quite happy to accept the expensive education that he had received, leave this country never paying it back and never contribute to our local society and economy. Whether he is still in London I do not know.

@FrayedBear I could be wrong, but I don't think The Economist is owned by Murdoch. The Economist Group (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economist_Group) does not mention him at all. Might be intriguing to know whether your bright but arrogant friend lasted there.

Welcome here. I am also a cycling enthusiast.

Seems to be a little cycling sub-group starting to form on here!

Conversate your heart out... Looking forward to it.

You'll have to be the judge. Lots of things get mentioned, discussed (or cussed). I haven't found people to be unkind yet. Most are encouraging. Many are thought-provoking. Welcome. I hope you enjoy.

Welcome you are home... take your time and look around... lot of cool people to find.

Welcome to the community, I think thee problem is that a lot of people here are born again atheists and the damage they received from being religious is still fresh.

You're not too far off.

I haven't heard that one, but it could be an explanation.

That's an interesting thought. As a former Catholic, I could be counted among that group. But I'm still hoping to mostly talk about what I am rather than what I'm not. I took care of most of the Catholic shit thru therapyl. 🙂

@chicagojcb , You have just given me an idea for a new post, thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13791
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.