Agnostic.com

9 3

How long will abortion continue to be a major influence in politics?
Will, Roe v Wade survive trump?

Tomas 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As of now, the vote would still ve 5-4 for abortion in the U.S. Supreme Court. However if one of the "liberal" justices dies, then it may be overturned.

I think that it needs to be pointed out over and over how the bible defines life as beginning with the first breath "the breath of life". The first breath is taken after the child is born and out of the womb. If they argue it, than ask them if they are saying the bible is wrong. They rget really uncomfortable and squirmy at that point.

Thank you for reminding me of "the breath of life" which I had not thought of for so many years. I looked into internet searches and found possible good debate ammunition.
It's good idea to counter believer's debate by saying God breathed through man's nostrils to make the life begin and that should include babies which are human so they would be "man" also. Babies would have to be born first to have their nostrils out in the air.
If the believer tried a more contortive debate by saying the fetus breathed through the umbilical cord which transports oxygen from expectant mother's nostril. Well, I would counter by challenging question by saying is the expectant mother is also called "God" herself.
That is just to point out contradictions that are prevalent in the Bible and too incomplete to apply to our modern world. I still don't believe in the Bible anyway.

@jcoffey9 I haven't looked at it for a lggn time, but the4 bible has more than just one reference to "the breath of life" beign the beginning of life. Everyone knows about Genesis, but there are other books in the bible that talk it also.

My idea of using the bible to defend abortion is that there are several references to "the breath of life" as the strt of life, but none about life starting in the wonb.

As for the "breathing through the mother" arguement, the fetus gets oxygen through the blood supply, which means the mother, who is alive does all the breathing.

I tell people I support a right to choose because it is safer for the life of a woman to abort a fetus than it is to carry it to birth, and the force a woman to carry to term against her will is endangering her life and forcing a risk to life on her. Since teh bible defines life as beginning with the first breath, the mother is alive, while the fetus is only growing. So those who value life, shoudl look out for the life of the woman who has a greater right to her life, as defined by the bible, than the fetus does. There is no scriptural based argument to this. There are dogmatic arguments, but dogma isn't doctrine and tht can be easily pointed out.

@snytiger6 You got good logical thinking. Now I see it is pregnant mother who does all the breathing. Then the fetus is not doing a breathing at all. Thanks for clarifying it some.
I knew there is no reference about life starting in the womb in the Bible. I agree.

how long do you got? Its been a major sticking point for 2500 years. Yes, you read that right. 500 years before Jesus this was being debated by pagans.

This is from the original Hippocratic Oath:
>Similarly I will not give to a woman a pessary to cause abortion.

Humanity will debate this issue until there are no more humans.

To answer your second question: yes, in order to get rid of it would require nothing short of a constitutional amendment of two parts of the US constitution.

It will survive because (as I was told by few politicians) if the issue becomes "obsolete" they will lose a big pillar of their campaigns

I think you are right. The same reason the Bush admin didn't want to get Osama Bin Laden, they got more mileage off that issue when he was alive and in hiding.

@Ktcyan Abortion, capital punishment, gun control, education, immigration (DACA / TPS), ILLEGALS...are all campaign issues.

Forgive my swerving a bit off-topic but contraception also influences politics especially in countries where the Catholic church or Islam have influence.

Before I retired I was a pharmacist so I offer a couple of comments regarding Emergency Hormonal Contraception (The 'Morning After Pill' ).

EHC is NOT a form of abortion. It prevents the implantation of the fertilized egg. In 50% of cases the egg fails to implant anyway (this is one of the major problems in IVF). EHC sways the balance to around 98% of cases. In the UK it can be taken up to 3 days ,if purchased, after unprotected sex or 5 days if prescribed by a physician (different drug).

The woman should report any kind of abdominal pain experienced within a few months to her physician because, if the medication fails, there is an increased risk of an ectopic pregnancy. This doesn't mean that EHC causes ectopic pregnancy. The fertilized egg takes 5-10 days to travel to the uterus to implant so if it implants in the fallopian tube it does so before the drug has had time to work and would have done so anyway.

If the woman vomits within 3 hours of taking the drug she needs to see her physician for a revised dose and, possibly, an anti-emetic. This IME is extremely rare. If it's later than 3 hours she can go ahead and vomit all she wants.

Since some kinds of medication can prevent EHC from working and there are women for whom it is not suitable (alternatives are available) so the pharmacist or physician should be asking a few questions. Actually, I remember many instances of women launching into a blow-by-blow account of the previous evening's activities and having to tell them that I only needed answers to a few specific questions.

Another important thing is to establish that the woman could not have become pregnant before the unprotected sexual intercourse (UPSI - yes, it really is called that) in question, for example the previous week. If she has then, as far as is known, the EHC does no harm - but it won't work! I did mention that it is not a form of abortion.

Finally, EHC is a less reliable method of contraception than 'ordinary' pills and condoms. I used to say to regular EHC users that there is a name for such people. They are called parents.

Thank you for your excellent post.

@DUCHESSA Thank you. I may post others.

I was expecting an argument on exactly what constitutes abortion.

You know what method of contraception prevents the greatest number of pregnancies on this planet? Breast-feeding!

So EHC just shoves women in the same direction.

@El-loco Please do; the people needs to be enlightened / educated.

Yes Roe Versus Wade will survive Trump. Hell Trump’s not even a Christain, he just uses the religious right to obtain power as he knows no conservative can win without it. It would be insane to force a woman to have a kid she doesn’t want as we already have to many people in the world.

As long as evangelicals have a large voting demographic.

Roe v Wade...Don't know.

Betty Level 8 Jan 9, 2018

I agree with "Don't know" about Roe v Wade. I believe by a survey sometime ago that evangelicals make up approximately the average 17% of American population.
It looks like evangelicals were quite a kind of motivators or louder mouths. They somehow coaxed their religious peers to vote along with them and they voted more vigorously than other factions in America in recent elections.
In time, religious people may shrink in percentage of the population and we may regain voting demographic.
Good news is that people up to age of 34 have been surveyed so just 56 percent of them were Christians. This may replace the current 70 percent Christians average for Americans.

@jcoffey9

I hope you are right.

I don't think anyone likes abortion. But it's a necessary thing. Who else has the right to decide, other than the woman carrying the baby/zygote/fetus...? It is indeed a sad thing when it has to happen as no one can argue, so the celebration of the right to abort must not be equated to some kind of sick pleasure that comes from doing it.

Such is the confusion that pro-lifers have with the issue. They can't differentiate between the two. They think we're celebrating the right to kill. Um, duh...

This is frightening. I hope and pray it does. This has to be left up to the individual. Back alley abortions are a real thing and they will become a problem (I bet in places that they have made abortion problematic, they already have, but I am afraid to look up those numbers). It is a frightening question.

I would hate to see that happen, it wasn't good the first time around.

Oh yes theyre most definitely a real thing. If i ever became pregnant and didnt have access to an abortion for whatever reason, i would absolutely risk a rather awful death to get rid of a baby i don't want or need and cannot care for even if i wanted to.

As long as a coin has 2 sides.
Depends on how soon Trump can get impeached lol

Trumps going to be around for 8 years so you might as well accept it!

@Trajan61 ...and with that... my heart overflows with disappointment.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13805
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.