Agnostic.com

7 0

Totally unrelated but ... What sort of internet speed is normal/average where you live?

I am in Oz, and our current government scrapped the plans for a superfats broadband network, but kept the same and not most of us have "fraudband" ie fibre to the node, then in my case, 35 year old copper wire to the house, I live in salt marsk, so it floods and corrodes, plus I was just told I have 1,200 metres of it, the technology is not supposed to exceed 1140 on good copper. My whinge for the day, but I assume everyone else has better than a top speed of 20 mbps and 1 mbps at night?

Rugglesby 8 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I average about 50mb/s download and 15mb/s upload speeds.

I could pay extra to double this, but don't need to for what I do on the net.

I have friends less that 15 miles away who are lucky to get 10mb/s

Generally, in the U.S., they tell you you internet speed, but in really small letters it says "up to" before any internet speed. The reality is you are lucky if you speed in one tenthy of that which they claim it is. The wpeeds usuay vary depending on overall internet traffic in your area. We are supposed to be getting 60megabits per second, but in rely it is more like between 3mbs and 6mbs. I suspect that if we happened to be the only ones in our area on the internet we might get the full speed advertised or promised, but that is highly unlikely that so few persons will be online or traffic so low tha anyone actually gets the advertised speeds.

Your speed will vary by the number of customers your ISP has ihn your area the amount of trafic generated. The more you have of either means your actual speed will be slower.

wow, thanks for that, a real eye opener. I have been signed up for 50, was getting 44 briefly, but often it drops out, now I can't get more than 20, and at night it is often down to 1.

@Rugglesby The recent increase in people "cutting the cable" and going with streaming services like Netflix for entertainment, really created a lot of traffic.

I don't know what I have. I know my internet goes out a lot and I call att. and complain and it gets better for awhile. It really pisses me off because of the price we pay for all this and they still screw with us.

100's comcast in around the capital beltway maryland. In Vegas enough for a semi-pro gamer with a beasty rig to do his chops, if I don't do any torrenting. And yes you must be in OZ. One day I will give my son as a gift a T-1 just to see him cry.

I usually get 10mbps or less. That's the cost of living in a small town.

No idea what the average is but my Virgin Optical line is rated at 300mbps but often reaches 310mbps.

I'm pretty lucky; I was on a copper loop (Comcast) in my neighborhood, but I am close to a University, and AT&T just ran fiber to my area. So I was able to jump to a 75mbs dedicated fiber connection for a little less than I was paying for Comcast and their horrible, no good, very bad service.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13824
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.