Agnostic.com

8 1

Does religion predate spoken language?

Anthropologists have proposed that belief evolved as a survival mechanism; is we believed that a lion was hiding in that clump of bushes we would approach that clump of bushes as if there was a lion in it without evidence that there was. This ability to believe would aid in us not being eaten regardless of the truth of the belief. Therefore, that ability to believe in the none existent would be passed to the next generation. The ability to belief in the nonexistent is in itself the beginning of abstract thought one of the fundamental things that makes us human. Abstract thinking is necessary for complex thinking required for the transfer of information within a group even more than the ability to speak. Palaeontologists suggest that spoken language is likely only a relatively recent development (200,000 yrs.) and associated with modern humans only. Since we have always been a very curious line of species is it possible that religion is older than spoken language?

HeathenFarmer 8 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Communication may be possible without spoken language but, to me, religion is much too complex to communicate and certainly pass on without spoken language. It would die with the individual unless it’s passed on instinctively. If some type of religious belief was beneficial for passing on our genes as may be the case with apparent animal behavior then we might have a god gene. This idea was postulated by Dean Hamer in “The God Gene: How Faith is Hardwired into our Genes.” See: [en.wikipedia.org]

gearl Level 8 Oct 26, 2017

what exist if you cannot talk about it!?!

Religion evolved as the human narritive to explain life.

mzee Level 7 Oct 21, 2017

Communication does not have to include the spoken word.

Maybe, but not a religion where you could tell other people about it and have them worship since you couldn't speak to them or have a good way to communicate your ideas

I can't imagine that religion could predate spoken language, because religion requires the transmission of abstract ideas from one person to another, which would require spoken language to enunciate

Really what about conveying the idea that the animals you hunted had spirits that you needed to thank and appease? If you hunt and need to remain silent when stocking prey you can communicate a huge amount of information to your fellow hunters with nothing but, hand signal and gestures, I have done so, many times.
That fact is I have watched hunting wolves do something very similar and our ancestors were a lot smarter than wolves.

If ancient peoples had shamans who spoke to or the gods spoke through I would think they would have to be able to speak in order to convey what the gods or spirits were to communicate to them.

SamL Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

I would speculate yes. Only due to common sense as when one sees things they cannot explain it seems the awe and wonder of it leads to making an explanation of something larger in the form of some creator being?

That depends on two things: your definition of religion (organized religion vs shamanism vs simple animism), and second the time you believe speech began. If you take ritual burial of the dead as a surefire way of telling of religious beliefs, we know that neanderthals had ritual burial of their deaths 160,000 years ago, and homo sapiens sapiens 100,000 years ago at least. On the other hand, the theories on how long ago speech has evolved varies wildly, from about 70,000 years ago to 200,000 years ago. Depending on which theory of speech evolution you pick, your answer would change.

It is kinda funny, though logical, that we know with much more certainty about the birth of religious practices than about the birth of speech.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 13, 2017

Probably not, because earlier humans wouldn't've been able to fabricate such an elaborate system of beliefs without having language.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1390
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.