Agnostic.com

5 2

Are there more male atheists than female?

Are you male or female?

StevenMichael 5 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, that's been my experience in every atheist/humanist meetup or discussion board I've participated in anyway.

I am male.

In my experience, women are less likely to identify as atheist for social reasons, and so tend to be under-reported. My wife for example meets the definition completely but resists the label due to the negative connotations she feels it has. It's not a social signal she wants to send, or a way that she wants to portray herself.

As the member list here will show you though, there are plenty of female unbelievers.

It’s always appeared to me there are… My assumption has been, women are more accustomed to accepting shit they don’t like than men. Women (appear to) view atheism as just one more battle they’d have to fight, and (likely) feel they’re fighting too many already.. Men fight, and the best are willing to spend some of their ‘capital’ fighting for justice.

Obviously, to me at least, more women are beginning to feel and exert that same strength. I’ll welcome them ...while wishing they’d have shown their heads in my days of hay ~

Varn Level 8 July 25, 2018

According to Pew double: [pewforum.org]

gearl Level 8 July 25, 2018

Wow, 2-1. I figured it was a big gap, but not that big.

Lol atheist women should be in great relationships, lol except some men are jerks and others just don't want to settle down.

Yeah, my anecdotal experiences say there are more male atheists.

I've generally felt I could get a mate if I was willing to go to church. My ex GF had a dozen single LDS women friends just pining for a man who follows Gawd.

I know several educated, professional, mostly rational women who wished I was religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:139701
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.