Agnostic.com

7 0

Should the U.S. Electoral College be abolished?

There have been 700 proposals in Congress in the last 200 years to amend the Electoral College, more proposed constitutional amendments to change the EC than any other topic. Should the EC be abolished?

QuelRouquin 4 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely. One person, one vote. It is broken, get rid of it.

Another point is lots of people don't vote as they think it doesn't matter since their state is clearly red or blue. Getting rid of the electoral college would likely increase voter participation.

Considering that the electoral college gave us two of the worst presidents (George W. bush and Donald Trump, who both lost the popular votes for first terms), I'd say "yes" let's do away with it.

You betcha. We're smart enough to elect our own officials.

While I don't like how it's worked in favor of the republicans recently (45 and 43), there is one argument for it that I do agree with. When they went for a recount in 2000 (Bush v. Gore), the fact that we divide up the states meant that only Florida needed to be recounted. Without the electoral college, a recount would have meant having to recount every vote in the country.

I do wish the electoral college would have done what was originally intended by the founding fathers and not elected Trump, on the basis that he is an unqualified buffoon. Oh, well...

Actually it wouldn't have required a national recount as Gore won the popular vote by over 500,000 votes...

Yes. It’s an outdated idea, that is more harmful, than helpful anymore. I’ve had this opinion for a quarter of a century—when Clinton was elected, and the last six states hadn’t even counted votes yet.

Not that I’d always be happy with the outcome. But it would be fair.

It was a hedge against the unwashed democratic masses electing someone the landed gentry (founding fathers), did not want to be elected. It (electoral votes more than popular) likely saved us from nuclear war during the Cuban missile crises (Nixon got the popular vote, Kennedy got the most E.C. votes). I cannot imagine anyone more hesitant to bomb Cuba than Kennedy was. Nixon on the other hand almost certainly would have bombed/invaded Cuba under the pressure of the military and other hawks of the time. It saved us then, but I believe it is fundamentally wrong in a representative democracy to not have one man, one vote and eliminate districts to (at-large voting) determine the presidency.

Yep. You want specific reason? trump.

@TheMiddleWay trump trumps all. By know you should know it. You want reason... I don't believe in the electoral college, I don't believe in the devil, I don't believe in jesus, I don't believe in god. I don't believe allah, I don't believe in my ex mother in law.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13993
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.