Agnostic.com

5 0

Did you have a religion before being an atheist or agnostic?

I was born into a Catholic family and was a wiccan for a while before becoming an atheist. What about you?

DepressedOatmeal 3 July 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I was a Lutheran who also got my first college degree at one of its colleges. I also took 5 religion classes while at that college. I then taught a couple of the adult bible study classes at one of the churches I was a member of. I will admit that it took me three times of reading the bible from beginning to end to finally question it. I was also looking at my college notes while doing that and ultimately couldn't reconcile the contradictions and atrocities.

I was born into a Jewish family and doubted religion most of my life. Being Jewish was also more about culture in my family, so not being religious wasn't a big issue.

I suppose I had what my parents tried brainwashing me with. Resistance was not futile
I never really got on board. I did what I had to but I didn't really get why the Church (Catholic) was so backwards and outdated. Then I realized because the bible hasn't really changed so neither can the dogma

Yes, I was born into a Hindu family and became atheist by age of 15-16 out of curiousity to know more about concept of God when none of my praying worked ?

I was born into a Mormon family. Always doubted in the back of my mind, but did go through periods of trying to believe until I was 16.

It still took me until I was 23, due to all the brain wshing I had growing up to come to terms with beign gay, but once I accepted it I came out as both beign gay and atheist at the same time. I figured that also coming out as atheist would keep my parents/family form beign able to throw religious judgements at me about my beign gay, and it pretty much worked. They had no ammunition left to argue with.

I guess it must be practically impossible to be Christian (or Muslim too) and rationalise scripture and homosexuality.

@brentan Peopel do it all the time. There are many gay "Christian" and "Muslim" groups.

It is basically once again the" cafeteria approach" to religion. You just pick an dchoose and take those parts you like and disregard the parts you don't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:140799
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.