Agnostic.com

56 4

For those who have no children, would you date a partner with a child?

If you didn't have a child, would you be willing to accept a partner who does have children? Would you consider those children your own if the relationship was serious? How involved in raising them would you be?

TwistyOwl 5 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm in my late 60s, too old and set in my ways to have to deal with someone's else children in my home. My kids are grown, when I want a kiddie fix, I visit my adult children.

Absolutely, %100.

I might have considered it when I was MUCH younger, but not now.
Besides, anyone who could possibly be interested in me would have
grown children by now.
LOL

Probably not. Got burned pretty badly by my ex. I do not ever want to hear someone whisper romantically in my ear “I love you because now I have so much more money to give to my kids”. To some people irony is a metal used in making guns and SUVs.

I am childfree, so the possibility of me dating someone with children is close to zero. I have gotten involved with a man with tweenagers, and it ended up a complete nightmare and a brutal moment of realization that I would never come first in his life—ever. I had emergency surgery, and he was basically MIA. His eldest kid had failed to study for a class all semester long, and he "had" to help the kid cram for an exam rather than tend to my needs. So ... that was that. I have a lot of childfree and childless single friends who have had the same experience with single parents, being put on the far back burner.

I wouldn't rule out dating and getting involved with someone with adult children, but it would depend on the type of relationship the man had with his kids. Of course I would want him to be interested in his kids' lives, but not overly-involved—if that makes any sense.

The relationship with your spouse is the most important one you'll ever have. This is the person who will take care of you as you age, and then enter the last days of life. So relationships can only thrive when two people put each other first, above all others. Some people, like my parents, are capable of doing this. Others aren't. That makes it really difficult to have an honest conversation with someone with adult children.

Not a chance.

Orbit Level 7 Nov 30, 2018

I did marry a single mom (second marriage) with an autistic and delayed development child.
We have been together for 20 years... SHe is my best everything, even though sometimes
drives me nuts 🙂

I do not think that it should matter - either you are in (all pluses and "minuses" ) or you are not...
If the one is the one, than he/she is the one... Everything else is an icing on a cake 🙂

Only if the kids were over 18. I can’t stand children for more than a few minutes.

Livia Level 6 Aug 17, 2018

Once, in my thirties, I dated a man with young children. I knew quickly it wasn't for me. Adult children are a different story. I haven't given up hope to have grand-children via someone else's children.

Absolutely. Most men grow up when they have kids. I would rather him have a child than be a child.

I would and I would love her kids and do my best to support them.

Nope. Grown up kids, yes. Small kids, no. I want to be a man’s partner not a mum.

Livia Level 6 Aug 9, 2018

Man, this is a difficult question for me. I have no parenting or disciplinary skills whatsoever, and I know that if I was put in a position where I was raising children I would grow to resent them. I haven't lived my life for myself yet, and I know that it would be my responsibility to live for them. I would certainly consider dating someone who has adult children, who are responsible for themselves, though.

Yes, and I did more than once. I now have a lovely stepdaughter in her 30s, who is a brilliant lawyer!

Most likely I wouldn't date a person with children. I have no desire to be a father. I don't the patience and understanding a child would need. No, I wouldn't consider them my own if I ended up with a partner with children and do little with raising them.

Yes
Maybe - depends on the circumstances, at my age most women are empty nesters and I'm pretty sure I don't ever want to live with anyone again
Not at all as I wouldn't date anyone with young kids, I chose not to have children and I'm happy with that choice.

Absolutely.

The women I go out with frequently have adult children, so it really isn't an issue.

I never thought I would... until I did. I've never had an interest in children so it was odd at first but not terrible.

In one scenario I was also spoiled in that my girlfriend was married so I was able to help out sometimes when they needed me but I wasn't overwhelmed by the scenario.

As kind as they're not looking for me to be their new dad of the bat I'm okay with dating someone with kids now.

I have and would date someone with a child. I had no problem with being with her or helping her raise her daughter. However, I asked if it was alright if she didn’t call me dad. I was happy to play that role, but I didn’t want her to “replace” (if you will) her actual father with me. I wanted her real father to be a part of her life.

The two of them had personal issues, but he was still a good dad to their daughter. Actually, it turned out that she was the crazy one which is why our relationship didn’t work.

Leo716 Level 6 July 30, 2018

At my age any woman going out with me is not likely to have children living at home. I can tell you from experience, grown children can be a much larger pain in the ass than the younger ones.

I met and married a woman with a child. I fell in love with him first. We were together for 19 years and had three girls. Unfortunately our son[I had adopted him] died in an avalanche a few years ago.

Personally, I would. I cannot speak for anyone else, but if I dated someone and enjoyed their company, I wouldn't have a problem with a child. And I wouldn't fret over what is until the what if became a this is.
Over the years, ive dated women with children and have shouldered the responsib8lity of being a good and decent role model for her child or children.

I love children and I could accept a partner with children and I think they could be like mine.
In the past I had a parter with a girl, I and she have loved each other.

I don’t have a problem with children. It’s unfortunate when the relationship ends because I’ve grown attached to not only the lady but the children also.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.