Agnostic.com

8 2

Non-judgement

Is non-judgment possible? What strategies do you use to observe without judgment and bi-pass biases that might cloud your thinking?

Mermaid911 3 July 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just need to be very mindful if someone says or does something that invokes a strong reaction in me, where that is coming from. It keeps me from making assumptions or saying things out of fear. Because I can go there sometimes.

I just listen more than I talk.

When I am able to observe without judgement, life moves along smoothly. And being able to identify my cognitive biases that cloud my thinking clearly, helps me to observe without judgement. I also try not to judge myself too harshly for being judgemental.

I honestly don't quite know when one draws the line between what is thinking and what is judgement in the sense of something which affects others negatively. As such, I don't quite see how one can be a good thinking person without some level of judgment of peoples' character involved in their own actions. And our brains are much too small to handle the complexity of each other person so as to fully overcome incorrect conclusions (i.e. false judgments via bias). That's not to excuse it, or say we shouldn't try not to do that, but as far as I can tell, it is a bit unavoidable.

I like this adage from Shakespeare: "Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Pretty much covers it, I'd say.

The best we can hope for is to recognize that we have biases and minimize their impact on our opinions and decisions.

JimG Level 8 July 31, 2018

I think this is key, to try and recognize the biases we all have. It is utterly useless to pretend the biases are not there.

I think we can try to be non-judgemental about some things, but I doubt we can avoid our own bias or even be aware of some of our bias.

We can search for consensus with others for some judgments
And we can search and read as many different opinions as possible.

cava Level 7 July 31, 2018

Its very hard to do, and I'm unsuccessful most of the time, especially depending on the circumstances and subject. But I do try to back off mentally and to understand the reasons for whatever is happening. Obviously this works better with things I have been through or dealt with myself.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:144820
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.