Agnostic.com

4 0

What are we looking for? why is so hard to find and keep someone to love until we die? If we all are searching for the same why is so difficult to find?

lyvia 2 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That was a quote from hawkeye Pierce and very apt. Take life as it is, for you’ll never get exactly what you want.

Some people like to use other people. We align ourselves with them without realizing that. When we do realize it, it is best to end it. That is one scenario.
Two people must share, have common goals, and ultimately love the other more than they love themselves in order to live together until they die. That is hard to do, but it can be done. I have known such couples. Both have put all they were and all they had into their partnership. That is what made it last for 50, 60, 70 years.

That is a great question. From my experience I have grown, I have changed I have evolved, as I have done so, I have reached a point where I am not who I was 25 years ago. The person who is my soon to be ex wife is not the same person. we are heading towards divorce. sad, yes, yet I see it as an opportunity to find someone who is much more in tune with who I am NOW. After being on this planet for 52+ years, I feel that I am actually now really ready to find and keep that right person whenever she makes herself known, when that time comes. Maybe I am idealistic and somewhat romantic, yet I feel that whoever this person ends up being I am ready to devote my entire being to.....

@mrcharlie65 I couldn't have put it better myself.
But can Vulcans get angry? My understanding of anger is that the angry person has not got the knowledge or skills to cope with a situation or other person and so resorts to anger ie. Anger at themself. Not logical for a Vulcan IMO.

Indeed Vulcans cannot get angry as they reject emotion. Alas an angry Vulcan would say, if they embraced anger, “live shirt and suffer “. Silly joke@FrayedBear

Because we settle to get what we need rather than what we want?
Or it’s an off the rack world and we’re looking for a perfect fit?

@Gatovicolo that is an excellent analogy but begs the question "who made it an off the rack world"? I remember my father had his tailor who every few years made him a suit until he had about half a dozen. Those suits lasted him 20 or more years. Apart from the suit for my wedding day I never had a tailor made suit however one year I bought about 4 Italian designed and made suits that were off the rack and a perfect fit. The Italian suits were reputed to be worth $1000 retail, I bought the lot for less than $200 from liquidated stock. I have hardly ever worn them and as the old joke goes "over the years they have shrunk in the wardrobe and are now tight in the waist and chest"! Irrespective of that I now have very little occassion to wear them. I have a completely different lifestyle to back then - my shirt collar last saw a tie regularly around it 25 years or more ago.
So it is with a wife, she is still beautiful, intellectually challenging but no longer fits the lifestyle nor I hers. But continuing the off the rack concept, I will make do or have none at all until I find the exact cloth to make into a suit that I will be happy to be comfortable in each day. The same as for a new partner.
That is now. I can equally understand that the situation may change as I age. I never forget a very clever 50+ yo chap who married a very plain weatherbeaten woman of simple education and conversational skills. He simply wanted a housekeeper and probably mother substitute.
So to conclude "horses for courses!"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14483
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.