Agnostic.com

7 1

Can anyone help me rectify "the man walks in front" with "always hold the door for a lady"?

CallMeDave 8 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why does the man walk in front? That would bug me. How do you carry on a conversation? Hold hands?

Not in general as in walking down the street together etc. it’s more when entering a room, walking through a crowd. Things like that.

@Christiep77 thank you for answering! I had never heard of this and I appreciate your explanation.

The man opens the door. Woman goes through and steps to the opposite side of where you are holding the door. So you open the door for me, you are on my right. I step through the door and then to the left. I stop, you come through and continue and I follow. There are lots of reasons for this. One is that it’s a sort of protective measure for the lady. Another Ive read is that the man enters first and takes care of whatever arrangements such as talking to the host in a restaurant etc. another Ive heard is that it stems from when women wore long thing dresses and it would be difficult for a man to walk behind her and not step on her clothing.

I think it’s nice to follow some of these sort of protocols. I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary and people should do what they think is appropriate and comfortable.

Somehow I knew I could count on Christy to straighten me out

@CallMeDave glad my summer of sitting through those classes instead of hanging out with my friends finally paid off....

@Christiep77 that might still be an open question

@CallMeDave well darn.

I walk wherever I want to, and I hold the door for anybody.

I always open the door and allow the lady to go in first -just in case there are any assassin's waiting inside 😉
Likewise when a lady walks down the street I am dually drive alongside 🙂

I open the door for men and women. It is called being polite. What a concept! I generally walk behind women becuase l like the view. ☺

The lady should always stop at the door .

The holding the door bit , reverts to a period of time , before hinges . Picture in your mind , the Queen , pregnant with the King's heir , progressing through the castle , with heavy doors , attached by leather straps , not metal hinges . She's likely to suffer miscarriage after miscarriage . The King needs an heir . Orders go out . Open the doors (and close them) . I've never heard the man walks in front , but I have been taught , on a sidewalk , the man walks on the side closest to the road . This had to do with two things . One , there is likely to be more damage from the road side , whether from an accidental horse/wagon or from an intentional hit and run con artist . The other consideration was the servants would empty the bed pans by tossing the night's accumulation out through the upper story window . Sometimes there was a warning , "Look out below ."
I moved to a new job at work , and had been there , perhaps a year and a half, and was approaching the office , when one of the men , politely held the door for me , then commented , you see , this is why men get paid more than women for the same job . I responded that in the year and a half I'd been there , this was the first time anyone had held the door for me , however , I had held the door for men carrying things , therefore , didn't he think I should be the one earning more for the same job ?

Neither a king nor Queen ever touched a door anymore than they washed their own dishes

I was always told it was because corsets were worn so tightly that the unfortunate women who wore them would often faint from the effort of opening a door. Thank goodness corsets went out of fashion, but I do like the tradition of holding doors - it should be a courtesy anyone can extend to anyone, not only men to women, however.

The man walking in front is sometimes said to be so that it would be easier for him to draw his sword should they be attacked, but I suspect it's more of a "man leads, woman follows him" symbolic thing - so balls to that and insist on side-by-side!

@Jnei it's some amazing acrobatics to hold the door for someone, yet enter the room first.

@CallMeDave One can only assume they were pretty good at bilocation in those days 🙂

@Jnei Actually , corsets seem to be making a comeback , in some areas . I see a LOT of them in cosplay , at the Ren fests , and some even choose to wear them in real life situations . I'm not one of them , but ...

@Cast1es I was a goth, they were popular on that scene - not many of us laced them up to Victorian tightness, though!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:145426
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.