Agnostic.com

10 2

Euthanasia?

What are your thoughts on euthanasia? You can simply vote or, if inclined, share your opinion in the comments.

• 1 vote
  • 4 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 35 votes
Lucignolo 6 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The definition of euthanasia presupposes a terminal illness, so I see 'ALWAYS OK!' and 'Only ok if person has terminal illness' as being the same answer.

[merriam-webster.com]

Yeah, but a lot of people use the same word for assisted suicide and any form of assisted death before naturally occurring death.

I anted to give the people who interpret the word that way the option.

We do it our pets so that we can end their suffering but are unwilling to do it for people we love.

Ending one's life does involve others, particularly family, and while the final decision lies with the individual, I think loved ones should have input into it, too -- especially when it's not a question of fatal / intractably painful illness. At least to be heard.

I have a family member who took this option and I greatly respected it.

The youth in Asia are for the most part far more focused on success than American youth.

I voted that people should have the right.
To me, it's the only logical option as long as it isn't hurting anyone else in the process

Absolutely, positively, yes. I worked as a geriatric nurse for years. So much unnecessary suffering. I had patients beg me to let them die, very sad.

Agree SOOO much! I’ve been a cardiac nurse, an ICU nurse and now I’m getting my DNP in anesthesia. I’ve seen so much unnecessary suffering due to unclear or absent living wills, family members and so forth. Euthanasia would make such a huge difference. Thanks for your contribution!

If I want and am ready to die it's nobody's business but mine.

Both of my parents' deaths were "assisted" by the medical community...don't tell me it doesn't happen a lot more than we want to know about. Doctors know exactly how much morphine a person can take and adjust accordingly...both of my parents died "naturally" from old age...thanks, doc...the family and the patients appreciate it. They went with dignity, grace, peace and no pain.

Thanks for your contribution. Please don’t forget nurses. Doctors do their very important part. Nurses were probably the ones who delivered the morphine, Rubinol, Lorazepam that made that death smooth after a doctor, an NP or a PA placed the palliative care or hospice orders. Nurses kept your parents clean and turned them often to prevent their skin from rotting, and they bathed them and provided all the care in the trenches.

Also, what you refer to is not euthanasia. I’m super glad palliative and hospice care exist and are allowed by American law. You’ve had the openmindedness and intelligence to make the right call for your parents and see how modern medicine can improve end of life. Euthanasia is similar to what you experienced. Your parents where very near the end of their life. Euthanasia would allow someone that has a terminal disease to terminate their life much before their mental and physical decline. Now alll they are allowed to do is either get treatment or refuse treatment and receive hospice care. But they may have to live receiving hospice care for many months. Nobody can order a lethal dose of anything for them. Their relatives may have to witness their mental functions decline, not being recognized when visiting, witness their suffering a physical decay, or their personality change and be faced with a person they don’t even recognize. Euthanasia is a third option. So people could choose treatment, hospice (no treatment but pain meds and so forth), or euthanasia. Currently, no doctor can order a lethal dose of anything unless the patient is hours or at the most days away from death, intubated and brain dead, unresponsive...

It may look like a trivial difference for people that don’t work in helathcare, but it would have a revolutionary impact on freedom and our capacity to make end of life decisions. Your parents died of old age. I’ve seen people forced to live with a cancer devouring their guts, puke blood, suffer so much... They didn’t want that, they were begging for mercy, but had no other option. I have PTSD from the stuff I witnessed and had no power to help. Euthanasia would change all that. Not everyone has the luck of dying of old age. ?

@Lucignolo I get your points and yes, the nurses who cared for my parents were wonderful. My father actually had terminal cancer and was only 67. I am not going to refute your information, but I was in the room when both of my parents were given morphine and that is all I am saying.

I only vote for terminal illness as they world is to shitty to let everyone have a go. Way to many shitty people that would abuse the system

That’s a good point. Hadn’t thought about the possible implications of institutionalized suidice and possible abuse

I have always been in favor of assisted suicide. People should be allowed to choose to die with dignity and not have to leave their body laying around waiting to be found afterwards.

Yeah... That’s also my take. In an ideal world people should NOT be forced to live or commit suicide and be found rotting or desfigured

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:146095
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.