Agnostic.com

10 2

Old religious upbringing habits die hard?

For those that grew up with religion, do you ever catch yourself falling back on your religious upbringing out of habit? Example, today my washing machine stopped working and my refrigerator had went out last week. I got upset and started to pray to god to please not let this happen now. I quickly stopped realizing it was just something I’ve been conditioned to do but it still drives me nuts.

Alliegirl 7 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To most people religion is like a crutch, the myth gives them security. However, you do no one any favors if you ridicule or criticize their beliefs and offer them nothing in return. That is why I always refrain from discussion or argument with people who need to believe in fairies or who are happy to think there is something up in the sky that helps them.

Drou Level 3 Nov 4, 2017

I'm Latino and our culture is deeply embedded in Catholicism, so ya, I do Christmas, Easter, Passover, and the birthday of the Virgin Marry. It's very hard when you no longer believe, but I do enjoy the camaraderie. Oh, and I love Christmas music, I listen to it every December.

For the longest time, I had trouble with Catholic guilt. I've gotten a good deal better at controlling it, and it has been a bit since I've experienced that overbearing guilt, but every so often it strikes. I hate it and it really makes my interactions with Catholics hostile because I'm thinking about how their religion sometimes ruins my mental health and, in some ways, traumatized me.

I don't find it hard to say "thank god." It's harder for me to say, "thank you, aaaahhh, whoever or whatever." and even much harder for me to say "thank you me, I and myself." But I'll never let go of a pleasant circumstance without saying a word of gratitude. Amen.

We can just say "oh, well" and sigh or whisper without a note or without a tune while rhythmically shaking our heads the way those black guys do it whenever they're in a bliss. I love those body movement and rhythm of these black guys, so graceful, so beautiful, so, aaaaaahhh, bliiiiiiiiiisssful ! ! !

Easier said is "thank you" or just "thanks," what do you think?

But "thanks" to what or to whom? and thanks for what? for whatever or whoever?

A sense of gratitude to whoever or whatever brought about a pleasant circumstance?

Who do you think create the circumstances of and in our lives?

. . . so, what happened to the ref and the washing machine?

btw, Snow White and the seven dwarfs might not approve of you whistling without a note or if you whistle out of tune . . . what's the plural of dwarf, anyway, and the plural of brief - the underwear? I'm a Filipino and the best of my friends call me "DumbNut"

Never happens to me my worst lapse are in the use of religious cliques like god help us or good god.

Amen

I find that the music from the church days is what comes back and makes the most impact on me these days. It doesn't have any influence on my thinking, but definately has had an influence on my musical tastes.

That's good, music encompasses religion. Keep it up. Without music there's no fun living our lives . . . so, you better watch out for guys who are not musically inclined, he-he!

I find the myriad uses of Duct tape, WD-40 or Windex are constantly growing as fixes. If none of those work then I go to the Jack Daniels. After that I don't care and probably forget what all the brouhaha was all about.

SamL Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

I'll have Old Grand Dad or that absolutely fine vodka - absolutely true to its name. The absolute truth in my life!

Damn, I'm going to have to replace OMG with something else.

Give yourself a break and stop beating yourself up. To be that rigid about your current beliefs is similar to the fundamentalist religion you left. It is your rational self that counts, not impulsive emotions you have little control over.

Yes, I was at a religious funeral for a friend and found myself praying and saying AMEN. I want to say it was out of old habits or respect, but I think I did it for me too. Peace of mind maybe? Not sure.

I still say, and probably will always say "bless you" when someone sneezes.

Meh. I can live with that.

I still do this too. Just a habit and not one I ever really associated with religion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1464
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.