Agnostic.com

2 4

For a generation, people are going to say to their neighbors and their family members and their community members, Yes, you got some of the things that you wanted (like corporate tax cuts), but you stood with Donald Trump when he was saying ignorant and bigoted things - and when he was during the oak office by opening the door to humanities worst side. Or, you were complicit with him by your silence. And there is not going to be much of a defense to that. I won't be one of those people with regrets because I am unequivocal in my opposition to everything DT stands for. But I worry about some of my people. For example my mother and a very old and dear friend who both live in a red state and have drunk the Kool-Aid. I don't want to blame them or tell them I told you so, I just don't want to see them standing on the wrong side of history when this is all over. They are going to feel guilty and they are going to be ashamed when they look back. But how to help them if after all we have seen they still don't get it? I truly worry about them.

MrLink 8 Jan 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The task we have in front of us is to bring this nation back together. I think Trump is the most divisive president we have ever had. The Russians understand the principle of divide and conquer. That is why they backed Trump in the election.

You are totally right, Tommy. It's important to understand that if our Presidency becomes toxic, we are a less secure people. Russians and others will exploit that. A lot of that damage has already been done (which I am mad as hell about). And It's going to take a lot of work to repare. We are going to need true Statesmen (several of them - and I include women in there too!). And the good people of this community and others like it are going to have to make sure their voices are heard.

As an atheist, I believe morality grows from values. I believe different people hold these values in different levels. Whether these Trump voters see and understand that is irrelevant. What matters to me is that it allows me to pry for the values that they held that caused them to make a choice consistent with their morals in voting for that guy. For example, one of my army buddies lost a child to a miscarriage and now feels he must must vote pro-life. Although I am not pro-life and don’t think that position can excuse the rest, I can at least accept that my friend is a good person. Yes, he is certainly complicit, but I can find common ground with him. I think we need to start teaching reconciliation and tools like that in school, but I think the idea develops fairly naturally to most people, so I think we'll be okay.

However, “drinking the Kool-Aid” is a much different thing. That is a permanent thing. If after Trump has left office, if people continue to think that way, they will still be part of the problem and I don’t know how to reconcile with them. His low and falling approval rating leads me to believe that not many have really drank the Kool-Aid. I think many of those that still poll in favor of Trump will vote against him when it comes down to it, but are hedging their bets even in the polls.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14814
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.