Agnostic.com

10 0

Worst experience with religion . . .

What's the worst experience you had at the hands of religious folk? In my case, it was being forced by my mother to attend Catholic Sunday School classes being taught by Christian Brothers. The Brothers were nasty and physically abusive, and it was made worse by the fact that some of the "tough guys" in my class insisted on trying to provoke the Brothers. The outcome was that I was petrified to attend these classes and dreaded Sunday mornings. I eventually put my foot down and refused to attend. Also, when being trained to make my Confirmation, the nuns would lock us in the schools gymnasium until we could recite, by rote, the answers to various catechism questions. I was a public school student, so these training sessions were held after school hours. Many were the times when my inability to regurgitate the answers to the catechism questions had me detained in that gym until it was dark out . . . And I had to walk the mile home alone in the dark, arriving late for dinner and feeling murderous toward the nuns AND my mother.

RobLawrence 7 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thankfully I was born and raised with no religion. Sorry for your pain.

I am currently being shunned by my relatives and former friends for leaving their cult. This has been going on for 17 years.

JK666 Level 7 Aug 11, 2018

For me it’s not an experience of my own, but that of a school friend of my father’s. My father broke with the rest of his family when he was 18 on the subject of church, saying he refused to go any longer. But his good friend Bill stayed within his father’s fold, and spent his whole life going to church and upholding religious beliefs. He is now an alcoholic, has rarely been outside of the country and still volunteers for church organisations. You could say his life has been dominated by the church, I can hardly think of anything worse.

I can’t think of a specific incident that was bad for me but I remember sitting at the funeral of a friend and seeing his widow and two young daughters and listening to the priest go on and on about god’s mysterious will and how their husband and father was nestled in god’s loving embrace and I just wanted to scream at him to shut the F up.

In 6th grade, a friend gave me a Chinese stress ball necklace as a gift. Wore it when I went to see my bio dad, and he told me the necklace was sinful because it had yin yangs on it and that I was surrounded by demons for wearing it.

I lost my job because of a divorce

I lost a woman I love because her father put his foot down at her dating a Jew.. I still love her some sixty years . later.

Never been religious or attended church, but not long after my Mum died, we had a pamphlet through the door. Can't remember what sect (it was 17 years ago) but it stated that people who die early or before their time had offended god, and handicapped people were paying for sins. There was a note attached, saying we will return to talk about my redemption and being saved. When they did come back, luckily my partner answered the door, and when i heard who it was, i shouted to her "get those disgusting cunts away from here now, or i won't be responsible for my actions" still a upset and angry to this day, how fucking dare they? (My Mum died on her 60th birthday)

Getting out if the hospital after a long stay; having missed my nephew's funeral and going to visit my sister. My one brother-in-law, an evangelical minister, told her he would be going to hell because the young ill man took his own life. My sister, another sect of Christian was devastated. I don't know if I ever really did get through to her, even researching the bible to contradict what historically become dogma and doctrine in the 600's mostly because too many priest were dying to escape that era and get to the promised land. I won't argue with evangelical people any more. Last time I simply said the Trinity came about on a vote. Historical evidence backs. The comeback, refusing to acknowledge history and simply pointing to scripture, which I admit was the same biblical words used by the voters in favor. In fact the Trinity is not mentioned in writings until the 3rd century. These people think their just appeared. Tell them to read the writing on Gilgamesh and they look at you like a devil incarnate explaining an older, pagan includes many of their tales

I was told by a religious doctor that I was raped because I had not accepted Jesus as my savior and that I should be baptized immediately to prevent further rapes. The sheriff who brought me in told me that God made pretty girls like me to be raped by men, so it was very confusing at the age of 16. Yeah...hypocrisy and scare tactics...worst tools of the trade.

That is horrible.

@GuyKeith Obviously, I survived and did a lot of thinking and made the right choices to be atheist and a decent human being! Some are not so lucky!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:151540
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.