Agnostic.com

29 3

Is ignorance bliss?

I have seen studies that god believers live longer than atheist. Does knowing that your life is in your hands add stress?

MichaelSpinler 8 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It may be. I recall an episode of 'The Simpsons' where Homer had a crayon extracted from his brain (he like shoving them up his nose), and he became a total intellectual who was miserable because he could no longer enjoy the things he used to enjoy, and couldn't relate to the average person- except Lisa, of course. Whenever I see it, it reminds me of myself because the more I discover the truth about life and humanity, the more depressing life becomes. Anyway, Homer became so miserable that he decided to reinsert the crayon just so he could be ignorantly happy again. Sick, sad world.

It depends. Until the western diet was introduced, Japan had the longest average life spans, but evidently their long lives were due to diet. There are way too many factors to determine definitively, how a peson's beliefs may influence life span.

I have seen studies that suggest that non-believers live longer. I think those who live under a strict and rigid religion experience a log more stress than nonbelievers. Durkheim's suicide study (which was the start of sociology as a science) found that people who were a part of a rigid religion were about three times more likely to c0mmit suicide, which would suggest much higher stress levels.

I think the longest living people are in Japan, a pretty much atheist country. In countries like Denmark and the Netherlands studies show there is little difference. People in the majority usually live longer because they fit in better and are looked up to:

[psychologytoday.com]

gearl Level 8 Oct 24, 2017

Ignorance is bliss. What's that one quote: "The unanswered life is not worth living" or some shit like that. Basically, that you need a certain level of introspection to add some sort of "value" to your life. But, from what I've seen, people who question the nature of their reality, and who prospect abstract terms like meaning and value FOR meaning and value, end up shorthanded. There is no set, transcendental point/meaning to "life." The closest and most tangible thing to that is biological pleasures: orgasms, food, entertainment, hugs and kisses, petting a dog or scratching a goldfish (fuck cats). That's our point, our purpose. Other than that it becomes a whimsy of word play and ironies: "The meaning there is, is the one you add..."

I don't think it's that non-believers quintessentially suffer because of a lack of ignorance. I think it's more or less the disenfranchised status of our groups. From what I've read on this site, most of us live in places or around people who don't like our kind. We have these online communities, but I think a certain carnal proximity is needed to feel less alone. Whether we like it or not, being an "other" gets to us sometimes (me at least - but I ain't changing my non-beliefs anytime soon) and not having a physically-based support network may lead to a feeling of loneliness and unappreciated-ness-ish. All of which has the potential to contribute to our longevity one way or another. Pretty much what everyone else is saying.

I think it is not the bliss of ignorance that results in the longer life of believers but, the support and the sense of belonging that being part of a religious community provides.

Yes, I think ignorance does confer some bliss, however, skepticism and the pursuit of truth offer a kind of satisfaction that could never be found through ignorance, no matter how "blessed".

I find my own bliss in the now. I can not uuderstand the humbris of those who think they are “saved” and will live in “heaven” yet they behave very hateful in the here and now.

Yes. I once suffered from a severe concussion. During the course of several months that followed I was in a state of bliss because my short term memory was severely affected. I couldn't remember details that made me upset, so I never carried animosities beyond the moment. Bliss is definitely the best part of having a head trauma.

I have aphantasia (inability to visualize in my mind’s eye) and severely deficient autobiographical memory (unable to remember life events), so my natural state is like when you were in your post concussion state. Which means holding grudges is hard to do.

That has always been my take-away from the parable of Adam and Eve and their expulsion from Paradise. They were blissfully happy until they ate of the Tree of Knowledge, became ashamed of their nakedness and lost their innocence as to the true nature of their surroundings. The more we learn the more we realize how little we know. Every solution creates a problem, every revelation a question. Of course, accepting responsibility for your own existence adds stress. Why else do babies cry when expelled from the womb?

Ignorance is bliss until you find out just how ignorant you are or until you meet someone smart and realize there is something missing between your ears. That's when ignorance turns to anger and not so much bliss as we are seeing with Dumps Deplorables. Their ignorance is making their lives worse every day, jobs for them, ha!

Of course ignorance is bliss... You don't know any different !

Is ignorance bliss ? Possibly as ancient serfs had the same happiness levels as we do with all our level of stimulation. Bliss is a chemical state that some people are more prone to. Hardwired too !!

Of course it is, after religion terrifies you of reality.

if I had an incurable disease and was not aware... yes if others were aware and did not tell me, if I later found out I would not be happy. If a wild animal was stalking me and I was unaware then the bliss would certainly be short lived, but it would certainly be more bliss full than worrying about it, so I would have to con cur that ignorance is bliss but would I wish to be blissfully ignorant, definitely not

Depends on the situation

The studies would indicate that it does. Anyone who knows me knows that science is the subject with which I hold great reverence. However, I take science to be an understanding of the physical world that is in constant flux, and never an absolute declaration of absolute truth. It may be true that the comfort it offers allows for an extended life but it could be could also be something unrelated.

Yes, I think having a belief can reduce stress. The belief need not be accurate for it to help. I think I just got to wordy because that was what I was trying to convey

I am okay with the stress that is up to me and not up to the good book.

Blissful ignorance: Absolutely, it's the property held by most people who are upset by the NFL player protests.

Historically, theists lived longer as they killed the non.

I'm pursuing a PhD, so I say HELL NO. You can never have too much knowledge. Whether it's about your impending doom (or in my case homological algebra), more information allows you to better understand the world as it is, and make informed decisions.

Dylan Level 5 Oct 15, 2017

I see "Bliss" with Ignorance, but the ideas of getting "Bliss" as a Pilot, gets much more, because it knows how to fly a plane.

Well, I can't say I worry about things I'm not aware of. Bliss is good but I also can't say I've been there near enough. Stress is known and proven to shorten life. Taking responsibility for my life is a big deal but I accept I make mistakes so I can't say all my decisions regarding the quality of my life are correct. I don't stress on it. I react appropriately when I know I can to correct a mistake.

SamL Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

Which studies? Japan has the highest life expectancy of any country and the majority of other countries with long life expectancies are countries that have a higher percentage of atheists and less dogmatic religions.

Is this just true in the US?

It does for me me, but there is a way to to get around this obstacle. So when I'm having a hard time making a decision because I'm tired from work, I flip a coin and stick to the decision.

The thing is that we're not in control of our lives and realizing that is the first step. The second step is accepting that you are where you susposed to be.

In the words of my favorite sage, here is proof that ignorance is indeed bliss: [savvyandsage.blogspot.com]

only if you are talking to a special council and having to answer some very delicate answers about how you used your power in the white house with "I do not recall"

Hmm I would say so, considering lots of believers say,” I’m going to leave it in God’s hands.” That’s not a way to take responsibility of one’s life. That’s looking for the easy way out while atheist live in reality. But remember that atheist value the one life here on earth more, too, not one in that so called afterlife that many believers are in a hurry to rush this life away to get to the next.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1517
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.